Chapter 14

Friday came quickly, y/n finding more and more things to do as the end of the school year approaches. As she walked out of her class, she spotted Kid waiting for her. She sped walked towards him.

"I'm so sorry! I completely forgot!" She apologized, looking down at her baggy clothes. Not really the type of fashion she'd want to wear when going out with a friend. Even though Kid wasn't in anything fancy either.

"It's alright." Kid chuckled.

"Would it be alright if we stopped by my apartment first, so I can get changed?" Y/n's shoulders lifted as she flustered.

"Sure. Let's take my truck." Kid lead her over to the vehicle. It looked tidier than the last time she was in there. There were less empty cans and extra clothes strewn about, and there was a lack of a toolbox at her feet. "I cleaned it up a bit. I noticed it was pretty messy the last time..." Kid coughed out, reading y/n's expression. The girl just laughed.

"It looks nice." She smiled, buckling herself in as Kid started up the engine. "So where are we going today?"

"I was thinking we could go on a hike." Kid answered.

"A hike?" Y/n tilted her head.

"Yeah. It's not too hard a trail. I thought you'd enjoy the scenery." Kid explained.

"I love the idea. Maybe I'll get some inspiration for my finals project from it." Y/n hummed with a smile. They reached her apartment, y/n offering Kid to come inside. He followed her up to her home, entering after her.

"Nice place." Kid murmured, looking around at all the art spread around.

"Thanks. You can just make yourself comfortable while I get changed." Y/n turned to walk towards her room, Kid nodding and plopping himself down on the couch. On the coffee table, he noticed a bunch of movie tickets.

"Love, Simon." Kid read aloud, raising a naked brow. He wondered why she needed so many tickets. Looking around some more, Kid noticed a bunch of other little things. Like the lack of photographs. He could only see one. It was a small picture of y/n with Zoro. They looked young, maybe around their preteens. Y/n was hiding slightly behind the green haired male, shying away from the camera. Zoro hardly looked at the camera either, too busy laughing at the girl clinging onto his arm. Kid smiled. She was a cute child.

"Okay, I think this should be appropriate for a hike..." Y/n muttered as she entered the room.

"Do you have pictures of your family?" Kid asked suddenly. Y/n frowned and sat down next to him.

"No. I was an orphan." She answered honestly.

"Oh. I'm sorry..." Kid frowned as well. "Me too."

"Huh?"

"I was an orphan too. Killer and I." Kid explained.

"Really?" Y/n looked up at the male.

"Yeah." He chuckled. "I was like a rat on the streets. Hung out in dumps, scavenging for things to tinker with. Killer found me one day, and we became like a little gang on our own. It was when we failed an attempt to steal food, that we were finally turned into an orphanage by the police." Despite the heartbreaking story, Kid just smiled.

"He must be special to you." Y/n smiled as well.

"He is. Always kept me out of trouble once we got into school." Kid laughed.