Chapter 6

Three months passed by swiftly, and y/n was busy preparing for the art exhibition. But even with all the work she did, she always made time for Law. In the first two months, they went on a good amount of dates. Outings slowly turned to hangouts at each other's residence as they got more comfortable.

But in the third month, the amount of dates and hangouts slowly decreased. They were both swarmed with work now, y/n on the art projects, and Law on his internship. Now y/n only saw Law, at most, once or twice a week. Y/n noticed the drift in their relationship, so she decided to talk about it with him.

She smiled as she made her way over to Law's apartment. After bringing up her concerns, Law told her he'd take her out on a date. Knocking on his door, Law opened it, only giving her a glance before letting her in. Y/n was slightly discouraged at his disinterest, but she convinced herself that he was just tired from all the work he's been doing.

"How are you?" Y/n questioned, heading into Law's bedroom with him. It was neat, save for the desk swarmed with papers and a few monitors.

"I'm fine..." Law muttered as he went straight to his desk. It was clear that he had been working before y/n came over. Y/n furrowed her brows, concerned for the surgeon in training, as he looked stressed and uncomfortable.

"How long have you been working..?" She asked, only receiving a grunt. "Why don't you take a break? Let's go out and get some food, or catch a movie!" Y/n smiled, but it quickly faded as she only got another grunt.

"Sorry..." Law sighed, stopping his writing, but not turning to face y/n. "I know I told you I'd take you out, but right now's not a good time." He massaged his temples with his fingers. "Maybe another time..." Law began writing again. Y/n pressed her lips together in a firm line. She knew his work was important, and she knew he was very passionate about pursuing his career, but she also knew that he was exhausted. He needed a break.

"Law-" She called his name, but the man just grunted again.

"I know you just got here, and I'm really sorry...But could you leave?" Y/n's breath got caught in her throat. "You're distracting me..." Law still never turned to look at his girlfriend.

"Well, maybe a distraction is a good thing-" Again, before she could finish, Law interrupted her.

"Y/n!" He said her name sternly, finally turning around. His tired silver eyes narrowed at her, causing y/n's heart to stop. "Again, I'm sorry for flaking out on you, but this is more important."

"R-Right...! Um, I'm sorry...I'll go now..." Y/n held back the conflicting feelings bubbling in her stomach. Instead, she offered him a sweet smile before showing herself out. She walked down the sidewalk, not making a sound, her expression troubled.

'More important...More important....More...important....' Those words repeated themselves in her head over and over again. Y/n's eyes stung with tears, but she refused to let them fall. For one, she was in public, and two, she had done her makeup. She didn't want it to run. She felt stupid. Why would she try to push him? He was obviously busy!

Y/n opened her bag and brought out two plane tickets to Tokyo. She was going to invite him to be her plus one at the art exhibition during their date. But now she realized how unrealistic her idea was, seeing as Law was busy with his own schooling and work. She didn't know who would want the ticket. Should she invite Nami? Koala? They seemed like a good choice, but then she realized her friends probably had better ways to spend their time than hang out with her at an art exhibition.

By the time y/n finished mulling over her options, she had already made it to her apartment. Sighing, y/n decided that maybe she should just give the extra ticket back to her teacher. She nodded to herself, finalizing the plan. Opening the door then closing it behind her, y/n leaned back against it, taking deep breaths.