Chapter 29- Talks of Charles

"Why does everything have to be business related when you're rich."  "With great money comes great responsibility," Quenton joked. I rammed my shoulder into him causing him to laugh harder than he already was at his own joke.

***********************************************************************************************

Quen came up beside me. His hand resting on my shoulder, tearing me away from my phone where I was anxiously waiting for something from Annabeth.

"Let's go out," Quenton said placing my purse in my hands. Letting out a long sigh, I put the purse over my shoulder and grabbed Quen's hand.

"Don't worry about her, she's fine," Quenton said his hand giving mine a small squeeze.

"How can you be sure?" I questioned taking a quick glance at his face. "I'm scared that Charles will find her."

"He won't," Quenton said determined. "Let's go out and have a nice dinner."

*

Despite the warm atmosphere of the small Italian place nerves bounced around me. I felt as though Charles was going to come out of the shadows. It was an irrational fear, I understood that, but I couldn't stop the fear that crept up inside me every time the bell above the door rang.

Quenton soon discovered my unease and placed his hand on top of mine.

"Everything will be fine, love," he cooed running his thumb over my knuckles. "Relax."

I remained stiff through dinner. Quen tried to make conversation, but I was too worried about Annabeth to listen to his stories. What would I do if something would happen to her.

"Annie," Quen snapped grabbing my attention. "Annabeth is safe, I have someone watching her. She won't come in harms way."

"Y-You," I stuttered out. "You have someone watching her! Quen, she is going to be terrified. What if she thinks it's one of Charles' men? What then?"

"Baby," Quenton said. "It will be fine, he has introduced himself. I gave him instructions not to scare her."

"I can't believe you," I gasped out. "I can't believe you did this behind my back!"

"Isn't this what you wanted?" Quenton asked. "Her to be safe."

His hands were gripping the table cloth, the glasses began to shake as he pulled the cloth tighter in his hand. He clenched his jaw, his anger becoming more evident with each passing moment. I didn't know what to do. I felt terrified that I didn't know what to do. Maybe it was my irrational fear coming back.

I had never had to deal with a dear fried escaping an abusive and possessive man. I didn't know how everything worked in the world of money. But, Quenton did. He has grown up with this, with outer appearance being the main issue in life. I should trust him on this, I needed to trust him on this.

"You're right," I said softly. My hand reaching out to encase his. "This is what I wanted."

The waiter came over with a bright smile. She sat down our plates her peppy voice telling us to enjoy the meal. She skipped off her hair bouncing behind her.

"Has school been good?" Quenton asked changing to a lighter topic. He placed his napkin on his lap and began cutting into his steak, his blue eyes glanced up to me awaiting an answer.

"Yes," I smiled. "Has work been good?"

A small smile lite up his face, "Yes," he mocked. Our dinner went smoothly from there. A light conversation floated between us as the night went on. Through the dinner I still felt an underlying feeling of fear, as though Charles will be there to take everything away. 

"Annie," Quenton said his smile dropping from his face. His hand curled around mine giving a gentle squeeze. "I want you to come home."

"Quen-"

"Please Annie," he pleaded. "Our relationship has only been failing since you came back here. I feel as though a new scandal threatens us before we even talk about the last one. We need to be together to work on this to make this relationship work. I want it to work, and I can't get it to work with you away at school."

"Q-Quen," I whispered. "I need to-"

"Finish school," he said his hand squeezing mine. "There are schools back home that will offer the same education."

"I have ties here. What about Annabeth?"

"She can live with Zak," he stated quickly. I choked on my drink before setting it down and giving Quen a wide stare.

"She couldn't," I wheezed out.

"Why couldn't she? They clearly like each other, he would look out for her and give her a proper relationship."

"We cou-"

"Zak would allow it," he said. His demeanor seemed as though everything was normal. He was asking too much from Zak, or I thought it was too much for Zak.

"Annie, this doesn't need to be finalized now. We can give it time," he said dropping my hand and cutting a piece of his steak. I took a deep breath and tried to focus back on the meal sitting on the table.

*

The meal ended without much more conversation. I couldn't stop thinking about Annabeth living with Zak. Kyle and him were already living in close quarters and there was only a community college within a reasonable distance.

We drove home, a chilling silence eating the car. Quenton drummed his fingers on the center console, James had the divider up between the front of the SUV and the back. I looked out of the tinted windows, watching the cars pass by.

It was so close to finals time, so close to my finishing my first year of college.

"I want to finish this year, at least," I said breaking the silence.

"You will," Quenton answered, his eyes not leaving the phone in front of him.

"Quen," I sighed. "I need this. I need you to understand you can't take me away from something you don't like."

Quenton clicked his phone off, the sound resonating through the small space. He sucked in a breath before turning around to me, his blue eyes shining bright.

"Annie," he started his phone abandoned in the cup holder between us. "I love you pursuing a degree, but you have to understand. I've never been around a women who fought this much, all my life women have been complacent with the demands of their husbands. Every time you defy me, something happens. I can't let you keep getting in trouble, I'll feel as though I failed. Please Annie, try to understand me."

"I-I," I stuttered not knowing how to deal with this. "I don't know what to do. Please understand my side. I've never had anything given to me. I grew up understanding that I would need a job to support my family, and now...now I have you and all of this. Everything is new. I've never dealt with a jealous ex with enough money to buy kidnappers. I-I'm scared Quenton." My voice lowered to a whisper as I dropped my head. "I don't know what to do and my friends in danger."

"I want to help you," Quenton said his voice soft. His had reached over and grabbed my hand, his thumb gently ran over my knuckles. "But, I can't help you from miles away. I need you with me."

"Please come home, Annie."

**********************************************************************************

So it's a filler and it's crappy...deal with it. (it's also a filler...but that doesn't matter)

I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR READING THIS!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THIS STORY. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS MEANS TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways...Vote...Comment...Fan...

Until Next Time

~Milkewayer