Chapter 22- Having Trouble Adjusting

"My Mom came over. She cooked the most heavenly meal for us," he moaned digging into his food. I giggled and rolled my eyes.   "Classic Ky," I said. He gave me a large smile his cheeks puffed out with food.   This was what I didn't realize I was missing until now. 

************************

I rolled over on my bed, slamming down on the alarm clock. Last night was horrid, and as much as I don't want to admit it, I was missing Quenton. He would hold me before we went to bed, kissing the shell of my ear and wrap his arm around me, for some odd reason it helped me fall asleep and stay asleep. Now he was gone and I was alone in bed. 

Groaning I got up and did my morning routine. Jeans and a sweatshirt to wear, even in the warming temperature, and a mug of coffee before I'm out of the door. Being back was weird to put it lightly. Even after a month people couldn't stop with the unusual stares as I walked down the sidewalk and onto campus and they didn't bother hiding the loud whispers. I've been called things I don't even know how to pronounce. 

My ring must've been a prize though. I heard many women gush behind my back at the cut and the style of the diamonds around the huge sapphire rock. I shrugged it off and continued on my way. 

*

I got out of the class juggling notes and my bag that continuously fell from my shoulders. 

"Woah," a man said as I scrambled to pick up a few pieces of paper I dropped. 

"Sorry," I muttered crumpling the papers in order to pick them from the ground. I stuffed the fallen papers into an English Lit textbook, hoping the cover would keep them down. 

"I believe this is yours," he said handing me a pile of neatly stacked papers with my scrawl on them. 

"Yeah, thanks," I said grabbing the papers and shove them into my brimming bag. I didn't know one class could take so many notes, not to mention what I missed was almost to much work to do for the professor, who kindly is letting me catch up to the class. 

"Hey, you're the girl from the magazines," the stranger said cocking his head making his brown hair fall slightly to the right. His caramel eyes watched me in scrutiny. "You most definitely are. It must suck to know your husbands already unfaithful."

"Un-Un...what?" I asked my heart lurching in my chest, he wouldn't be unfaithful. He told me he'd miss me. He talked to me every night on the phone. One month, that's all it took to be away. One month and he's already found somebody to warm the side of my bed. 

"I think you're mistaken," I declined politely trying to manoeuvre around him. 

"No," he said side stepping to block my path. I groaned, the entrance to the cafe I was going to study was in sight. A hot chocolate sounded wonderful until a few moments ago. 

I heard him moving papers around as he searched through his bag. 

"I don't normally buy these things, but my sister does. I was going to visit her and she asked for one," he explained shoving a glossed cover at me. There in bubble gum pink with sparkles surrounding them was Quenton with another women. Their faces were close as they looked equally as close. Near the corner was my face with Quenton's in a broken heart. I dropped the magazine, this couldn't be true. 

I took deep breaths. Many times the tabloids were wrong. Many times I was called what I wasn't. I would call Quenton he would explain. That was logical. that's what I needed to be right now. Logical.

***

I skipped studying, my stomach turned as I thought of doing something other than confront Quenton. I stopped by a news stand picking up the magazine and paying, but not without a sympathetic look from the worker. On the walk home I read the article.