War Chapter 78

Sorry, it's taken so long for an update. There's a lot that's been going on and I haven't had the time to re-watch TWD and write. It's starting to slow down, so here's this chapter. Sorry, everyone. -N

*******

LIfe's boring. I can't do anything other than stare at the same books and pace around the cell block. 

No one will let me near a gun, since Daryl said I'm not supposed to touch them without proper training or I could accidentally get someone killed. 

I want to go outside. I'm sick of staying in here. I want a fresh breath of air. I've sorta made up with everyone, except Daryl, who still isn't really talking to me. 

" Carl. Come here. " Glenn calls over Carl who's busy loading up some guns. 

Daryl, Hershel, and Rick are all out somewhere. I don't know what they're doing exactly, but I know Glenn's pretty much in charge until they come back. 

" You stash these at the loading dock. Beth, put more up on the catwalk. If anyone gets pinned down, we need to make sure that they get plenty of ammo. I'll go work on the cage outside. " Glenn hands Beth some boxes of ammo.  

" What we should be doing, " Merle interrupts. " Is loading some of this firepower in a truck and paying a visit to the Governor. We know where he is right now. " 

Glenn stops walking. " Are you suggesting that we just go in and kill him? " Glenn asks. 

" Yeah. I am. " Merle nods. 

 " We told Rick and Daryl that we'd stay put. " Michonne steps in. 

" I've changed my mind, sweetheart. " Merle leans against the wall. " Being on the sideline with my brother out there, " Merle shakes his head. " ain't sitting right with me. " 

" The three of them are right in the middle of this. No idea we're coming. They could get taken hostage or killed. " Glenn turns away from Merle and starts walking towards the door. " A thousand things could go wrong. " 

" And they will. " 

Carl snaps around to look at Merle. " My dad can take care of himself. " 

" Sorry son, but your dad's head could be on a pike real soon. " Carl ignores Merle's comment and walks out of the cellblock, slamming the door behind him. 

Dude. That's mean. Ugh. Poor Carl. He's got to be worried about his dad, what Merle said is only going to make things worse. 

I stand up from my spot at the table and turn around facing the opposite way Carl went. I walk towards my cell, pulling at my hands nervously. 

I sigh, why's life gotta be so complicated? It's bad enough we've got walkers, now we've got to deal with the Governor. And why did he choose the name Governor? Like, I get it means a dude in power, but like, couldn't he have come up with something a little more original? I feel like all the bad people come up with such boring names nowadays. What happened to people picking names like Maleficent or Megamind? Those are cool names. Cooler than the Governor anyways. 

And why does he have to be mean? Why can't he leave us alone? We haven't hurt him. We left him alone. Why can't he leave us alone? Why can't he just let us live? 

I sit down on my bed, pulling a short stack of books towards me. I look through them before picking out one of the books. I've read these like a million times each. Maybe we'll find some new books real soon. Maybe we can stop at a library or something. 

I open up the book and lay on my bed just as yelling fills my ears from downstairs. I ignore it and scan through the page. 

Why does the Governor behave the way he does? 

*****

" So I met this Governor. " Rick's back. He brought everyone inside to talk about what happened when they went out today. " Sat with him for quite a while. "

" Just the two of you? " Merle asks.

" Yeah. "

Merle looks at Glenn. " Should have gone when we had the chance, bro. " Merle walks away from everyone. 

" He wants the prison. " Rick continues. " He wants us gone. Dead. He wants us dead. For what we did to Woodbury. "

He wants us dead? I don't like that. I don't want to die. I want to be alive. I mean, I'm nine. I've got my entire life ahead of me. Or as much of a life as I can have when there are walkers crawling around everywhere.

" We're going to war. " 

Oh great. War. Just what I wanted to do on a Friday night. Come on, Governor...why'd you have to be so mean? 

I wander away from everyone as the group breakups and goes on in their separate directions. I guess now would be a good time to learn how to shoot a gun. 

*****

There'll be another chapter either tonight or tomorrow. Sorry this one's short, I have some stuff to do but I wanted to get this out there for you guys. -N