Blamed Chapter 39

I nervously look at my shoes as the adults talk. Shane, Lori, Rick, Dale, and Daryl all look at us as they talk. They brought Daryl into this. I'm dead. I'm so dead. 

Daryl looks like he wants to say something, but he lets Lori talk. 

Lori starts talking loudly. " I don't want Carl hanging around Jesse. She is a bad influence on him, and I don't feel right about it. Ever since Carl's been hanging around her, he's been getting in more and more trouble and saying the most horrible things! " My gut clenches. What does she mean? What did I do? " I don't want Carl handling a gun either. He's just on mature enough! " She says to Rick. 

Carl stands up. " I'm not gonna play with it. I know it's not a toy. I'm sorry I disappointed you but I want to look for Sophia. And I want to defend our camp. I can't do that without a gun. " Carl looks at me. 

" Shane's the best instructor. I've seen him teach kids younger than Carl. " Rick says looking at his BFF. 

Lori sighs. " Fine. But, " She turns to me and Carl. " I still don't want ya playing with Jesse. I know this gun thing wasn't your idea. I don't want this happening again. " She warns mostly me. She's talking like I ain't standing right here next to Carl. Man, manners people. Manners. If you're gonna talk about someone, at least wait until they're out of earshot. 

" Wait a second here Lori. " Daryl says semi angry. " What're you talkin' about Jesse bein' a ' bad influence ' on yer son? She ain't done nothin' wrong. The kid barely does anything even close to bad. She's practically a saint! I don't know what yer son's been up too, but I can assure you, Jesse ain't been part of it. " Daryl defends. 

Lori glares at Daryl. " My son wouldn't just steal a gun. He's never done anything like this before! Ever since Jesse came around and started hanging out with him, he's been acting different. " Lori spits. 

Daryl looks Lori straight in the eye. " Well, I guess there's a first time for everythin'. Jesse wouldn't do somethin' like this. She's a good girl and hasn't stepped foot near a gun. How do you know yer boy isn't the one who did this? Dragged her into this mess? " 

" Because Carl wouldn't do that!! " 

" Stop! " Carl yells making both adults look at him. 

I shrink down in fear at his loud voice and at the sound of the adults yelling over me. 

" I took the gun. I took the gun! " Carl snaps. " Jesse had nothing to do with it. I dragged her into this mess and I apologize. It was my idea to talk to Shane about teaching me how to shoot and my idea to steal the gun. Jesse had nothing to do with it. In fact, she tried to tell me to put the gun back and not to touch it. I pushed her into doing this. I made her come with me. She had nothing to do with this. " 

This silenced all the adults. I look at my feet and pull at my fingers and on my bracelet. 

After a few moments, they all start talking again. Lori doesn't apologize for being me and blaming me, and Daryl doesn't look at Carl. 

I feel bad. I got Carl in trouble.