17 - Hat Trick

"Henry. What are you doing here?" Emma asked as my and my father's canes clicked along the ground. "I came to congratulate you," He said as we stood next to Emma. "For what?" She asked. "Your genius plan," He said. "And what plan's that, Henry?" My father asked.

 He looked at him, then lowered his head. "Right," My father said, and he went into the other room. "Sorry. I thought Mr. Gold was in on it now that he's Ms. Blanchard's lawyer," He said. "In on what?" She asked. "The escape plan," He said.

"The what?" Emma asked. "Sheriff, Deputy, could you join me please?" By the tone in my father's voice, I knew it was important. We walked in, and saw the door to Mary Margaret's cell wide open, without Mary Margaret in it. "She's gone," He said. "Yeah, we can tell," I muttered.

"Henry, what did you do?" Emma asked. "Nothing. She was gone when I got here," Henry said. "Her arraignment's tomorrow. If she's not there--" My father said. "She's a fugitive. Doesn't matter if she's convicted for Kathyrn or not, she's screwed. We have to go find her before someone notices she's missing," I said, Emma marching into her office. "Oh, you mean Regina?" He asked. "The arraignment's at 8 A.M. I'm sure she'll be here bright and early to celebrate her victory," Emma said, pulling out her gun.

"You have until 8 A.M. then," He said as I went over to my desk. I opened the top drawer, pulling out my gun in its holster, and clipping it onto my belt. "Uh, what about me? How can I help?" Henry asked. "Go home," Emma said as I made sure the gun was loaded. "Emma. If she leaves Storybrooke--" Henry started.

 "Not now, Henry. Come on," Emma said. "Ms. Swan, I know time is of the essence, but if Ms. Blanchard doesn't return, her future's in jeopardy, and if you're caught helping her, so is yours," My father warned. "I don't care. I'd rather lose my job than my friend," Emma said, then followed me out. "You search the woods, I'll search the town," I said, and Emma nodded. "Why the woods?" She asked.

 "Do you really think I can climb over logs and through briar patches with a cane?" I countered. "Point taken," She said, then hopped in her Bug and drove off. I searched all through the town, but I didn't find anything. That morning I returned to the Sheriff's Station to see Regina pulling in. I went into the employee door, to find Mary Margaret in her cell, reading the newspaper.

"Madame Mayor," She said, looking up. "Good morning," She greeted. "Excuse me, but my client is not having any visitors," My father said, standing in front of her. "Of course not," She said. "I'll see you out," He said, and they walked off.

I stood just inside the entranceway, out of sight, and pressed record. "What is she doing here?" Regina hissed. "She came back," My father said. "You said this was going to work, that she'd take the key, that she'd go," Regina snapped. "And she did. But it seems Ms. Swan and my daughter are rather more resourceful than we thought. Fear not, your majesty. Ms. Blanchard is still guilty of murder. You may yet get what you want," He said.

"Oh, I better. The only reason I made a deal with you, Gold, is because I wanted results," Regina hissed. "And results you shall have. See you at the arraignment," He said, then I heard footsteps and stopped recording. I took a deep breath, then sent Emma a message. You won't believe what I just heard I texted her. Then I sent her the recording.

Things are about to get a whole lot messier.

a/n I know this isn't super relevant to this book, but I wanted to put here in case people didn't know. Chadwick Boseman, who plays Black Panther in the MCU, has passed away. 

My heart goes out to his friends and family. May he rest in peace.