5 - That Still Small Voice

I was leaning on my desk as Emma, our new deputy, held up a uniform. "A tie? You know you don't have to dress a woman as a man to give her authority," She said. "So you think you can get people to do what you want in that red coat?" Graham asked. "I'm getting you to do what I want right now," Emma said, putting the coat down. "Well at least wear the badge," Graham said, holding up the deputy badge.

"Go on. Take it," He encouraged. "If you really want to be a part of this community, you have to make it official," He coaxed, and Emma took the badge, clipping it onto her belt. A sudden boom shook the building, making everything fall down, including me. Telephones started ringing, and after we found out what was going on, we rush down to the mines. A mineshaft had collapsed, and people were crowding around.

"Everyone, step back, please. Is that a crater?" Regina said. "Appears to be," I said, getting out and pulling on my gloves. "Be careful, step back," I said, walking over. "Sherriff, set up a police barrier. Detective, get down there. Marco, why don't you help with the fire department? Ms. Swan, this is now an official town business. You're free to go," Regina said. "Well, actually, I work for the town now," Emma smirked.

"She's my new deputy," Graham stated. "They say the mayor's always last to know," Regina said. "It's in my budget," Graham defended. "Indeed," Regina said with a disgusted look at me. "I told you to get in there. Deputy, why don't you make yourself useful and help with crowd control," She ordered.

Graham nodded at the both of us, and I slid down into the crater. I shone my flashlight beam towards the tunnel, spotting the blockade. "People of Storybrooke, don't be alarmed. We've always known this area was honeycombed with old mining tunnels but fear not. I'm going to undertake a project to make this area safe, to rehabilitate it into city use. We will bulldoze it, collapse it, pave it," Regina said as I searched for an entrance. "Pave it? What if there's something down there?" Henry objected. My phone rang, and I picked up.

"Hello?" I asked. "Reagen, where are you? I heard the old mining tunnels collapsed," My father said. "I'm at the tunnels right now, trying to get in and see what caused the collapse," I told him. "Okay, just be careful," He said. "I always am. I've got to go. Love you," I said.

"Love you too," He replied and hung up. "In fact, everyone, please, step back," Regina said as Graham came over. "Any luck?" He asked. "Zip. The tunnel looked completely sealed off," I said. "We'll look again in the morning," Graham said, and we climbed back up.

"Henry?" Emma, Archie and I said near the tunnels. Last night, he had gone in, trying to find something to prove his curse was real. Pongo ran towards the tunnels, barking and smelling something. "What do you got there, Pongo?" I asked. "I don't think he's here," Emma said, coming over.

"I think he is. Candy bar. He had these with him," Archie said, holding up an Apollo chocolate bar. The shaking started again, and I almost tripped. "Henry? Henry, it's not safe!" Archie and I called, ducking into the tunnel. Behind us, because of the shaking, the rubble collapsed and sealed us in. "Reagen! Archie!" Emma yelled.

I turned on my flashlight, and we started down the mineshaft. "Henry?" I called. "Archie! Reagen! You're here to help me!" He said excitedly, shining the beam into our faces. "No, Henry, listen. We gotta get out of here, okay?" Archie said. "So you're still against me?" Henry asked.

"Henry, there's no time for that. Come on, Henry! Come on," I said. "You don't believe me? You'll see. You'll see," He said, running off down the tunnel. "Henry!" I said, exasperated. We chased after him, calling his name. When we found him, he was crouched against the wall, peering in.

"Henry, you've gotta slow down," Archie said. "There's something shiny down there," He said. "Henry, this is seriously dangerous. We've gotta get out of here," I said. "It could be something!" Henry objected. "Will you look at me?! Look at me! We're frightened for you, Henry!" Archie said.

"Because you think I'm crazy?" He accused. "No! No. Because we are trapped underground in an abandoned mine, Henry, there is no way out, and Reagen can't go super fast," Archie said. As we searched for a way out, we heard barking echoing down the tunnel. "Henry, do you hear that?" Archie asked. "It's Pongo!" He exclaimed.

"It's loudest over here," I said, pulling back some sheet metal and uncovering an old elevator shaft. "What's--What's that?" Henry asked. "Looks like...and old elevator," I said. "It's to get the mineworkers in and out. Goes all the way to the top. That's why we could here Pongo," I said, looking up. "Can we make it work?" Henry asked.

"Let's give it a shot," Archie said, and we all got in. We fought with the wheel, only going up a few inches before everything shook. The shaft fell down, and rocks tumbled. One particularly sharp one smacked me on the head, cutting it. "I'm...really....really....really sorry," Henry said.

"It's alright," Archie assured him. "I just wanted to find proof," He said. "No, it's really alright, Henry," I said. Archie and Henry had a heart-to-heart as I tore my shirt to press against my bleeding wound. A light shined down on us, and we looked up.

"What's that?" Henry asked. "I think it's a rescue," Archie said as we stood up. "Are you guys okay?" Emma asked. "Yeah, we're okay," I assured her. "Hang on, Henry. Okay, that's good. Stop," Emma said, pulling up the grate.

"Here you go, up," Archie boosted Henry up, and I boosted him up, then climbed out myself. Emma assured us that she had Henry when the shaft started shaking while I was still at the bottom. I told them it would be okay, and they called out for me as the shaft fell. They all looked worried, but relaxed when they saw me hanging by my cane on one of Emma's clips. They pulled us up, people clapping as Emma came up with Henry in her arms and Archie holding her hand.

They lowered a rope down, and I grabbed it. Someone took my cane and pulled me out of the shaft. Regina hugged Henry as they helped Emma out of the shaft, and Marco pulled Archie out. I stood there, balancing on one leg because I couldn't stand on my other foot, when someone handed me my cane. "Thank you," I said, and they nodded.

Emma tried to talk to Henry, but Regina shoved her away. My father came up to me. "Don't you ever do that again," He said. "I'll try, but I won't make any promises," I grinned. Before I could say anything else, he hugs me and I stand there, confused. Then I smile and hug him back.

That was when I knew my father truly loved me.