“Is Liam going to be there tonight?” I blurted, not able to hold it any longer.

“Wow, you alright there?” James asked, surprised at my rushed words.

“Sorry,” I said, looking down at my clasped fingers. “It’s been bugging me since we’ve arrived.”

“I don’t know, honestly,” James shrugged. “Last time we talked he said he wasn’t sure if he’d be able to make it. But I hope he does. More for your sake than mine.”

“What do you mean?” I furrowed my brows.

“Listen, I know that everything went down and it was all terrible and you want to believe that you hate him.”

“I don’t hate him,” I countered.

“Well, at least there’s that. But Cammie, believe me when I say that you need to talk to him tonight or else you’ll never have peace about this.”

I was quiet for a second, debating my options on the matter.

“Cam?”

“I’m scared, James. What if he did kiss me to get me out of his system and now he’s just over the whole thing and then I come all spitting fire thinking it actually meant something and scare him away?”

“Is it bad to say I highly doubt that?”

“How can you doubt it? It’s probably true.”

“He asks about you every time we hang out, you need to know that.”

“He does?” My face lit up and fell. “Probably because I’m his friend and he’s being nice. I mean, who does he think he is, kissing a girl like that and leaving the topic alone for, oh I don’t know, sixmonths?” I sighed heavily, trying to calm myself down and rested my head on the window. “I like him so much, James, and I don’t even know what to do about it.” Silence overcame the car again and I instantly felt sorry for our driver who had heard my entire spiel.

“I think you need to tell him.” James spoke the words quietly, but I heard him well enough. My head whipped back to look at him.

“It’s not going to be that easy.”

“I know. But Cam. I’m your older, wiser brother – ”

“Only brother.”

“– And I think you need to listen to what I am saying. Because I think that Liam may be just as confused as you are.”

“Unlikely. He’s a famous movie star who could have his pick of hotties. He kissed me to get me out of his system and now,” I hated this. I hated it all so much. “And now he’s done with me and I’m going to have to move along, just like he did.”

“But not without closure. Just try and see what happened? By asking him?”

“We’ll see if I’m feeling courageous. And if he’s even there,” I responded.

“I’m being serious, Camille. If you don’t talk to him about this tonight, you drop the topic altogether.”

My heart dropped at this ultimatum. I knew I had spent too much time worrying and being petty about this whole situation and I should just let go.

So I nodded and said, “Okay. I will.”

The car then drove up to a very elaborate display of lights and decorations leading into the venue. Photographers were everywhere and I was already dreading walking through the swarm.

“Well. Let’s hope for the best,” James said and, honestly, I wasn’t sure if he was talking about my love life or the chances of survival with the paparazzi.