Chapter 4

Kind of a filler chapter, I tried to make it as interesting as I could I swear.

Please enjoy and remember to vote/comment/follow!

Love you all... for those of you who actually read this.

-Kate

------------

When I opened my eyes, the room was still mostly black. My eyes went in and out of focus as I tried to remember where I was. The couch was unfamiliar and the room had that eerie way-too-early-to-be-awake feel. It felt like a horror movie when the house slept soundly and then the mass murders popped out of nowhere and slaughtered everyone. Snatching my watch off the coffee table, I squinted at the time. Quarter past seven. No, that couldn’t have been right. I blinked my eyes a few more times until my brain slowly became less fogged. We were in England. Right, timezones. I counted the hours on my fingers, trying to do the math. That meant it was quarter past three in the morning here. The couch was no longer comfortable, so I rolled off of it and pulled myself up the stairs to my room. My bed was a welcoming sight, but I found that I couldn’t go back to sleep. Instead I found myself tossing and turning, jet lag throwing off my entire sleep schedule.

Throwing my blankets to the side, I flicked on my lamp, unzipped my suitcases and hovered above them for a second before I started throwing everything everywhere. Once I was satisfied with my empty suitcase and my clothes strewn about the room, I opened my empty closet and began the tedious task of turning this strange, new place into my bedroom. The thought of breaking in a new home and place didn’t frighten me too much. True, this was only my third home ever, but back in Los Angeles, by the end of the month, everything had felt relatively familiar. I had a habit of making any place my home as fast as I could. All my friends would comment on how I could navigate their house without a problem the second or third time. Perhaps that wasn’t something I should necessarily be proud of. They probably saw me as some sort of hobo who just wanted a place to stay.

When the task of unloading all my bags was finished, the next wave of exhaustion hit me.  Quickly slipping into my pajamas, I slid back under the covers, my bed now more comfortable than it ever was before.

Only the tiniest bit of sunlight was streaming in when I woke up to the feeling of something pressing my body down.

“Good morning, Cammie.” I heard James say above me, his face right by mine.

“Ugh, James, get off of me.” I mumbled as my cheek was being pressed farther into my pillow. James’ entire body was sprawled on top of mine.

“But Cammie, I love you.” He said, putting his hands under his head, which was on top of my head.

“I love you too. Now get off me.”

“I’m bored. Rick won’t be here for ten more minutes. Mom’s still in bed.”

“And what am I?”

“A perfect pillow.”

“You suck. What time is it anyway?” I felt James shift so he could see the bedside clock.

“Almost six.” 

“Six? As in six am? James.” I whined. 

“You can go back to bed when I leave. Besides, I thought you were spending the night on the couch.”