Chapter 12: Blood

Start from the beginning

   I then hear a sharp hiss come from inside the room. Like Crowley's sucking breath in through his teeth.

   Knowing that I could be caught if I peeked inside the room, I do just that. And I suppress a gasp at what I see.

   Crowley's sitting at his desk and has a syringe sticking out of his arm. He's injecting a dark red substance into it, and that dark red substance has to be blood.

   Wow. The King of Hell is a junkie. I'd pictured the demon in charge to be a lot of things, but a junkie wasn't one of them.

   "Ahh," he groans softly as he injects the last of the blood into his system.

   I see some things in Crowley change, and the speed at which the changes happen is kinda terrifying. As he sets the needle aside, his eyes go glassy. He sighs, pleased at how the blood is working through his body. "So good..," he mumbles to himself, his voice lazy and his words slurred.

   I guess human blood gets him high, just like heroin would get humans high. Does that mean demon blood would do the same for humans?

   I don't know.

   I get ripped from my thoughts by Crowley's voice once again.

   Only this time, it's addressing me. "(Y/N)?" he mumbles lazily, looking at me with those beautiful eyes of his.

   Shit. I probably should've went back to my room after seeing what I wanted to. But, because he's high, I can do that now and he'd just think he's hallucinating.

   I retract my head and begin to retreat when Crowley speaks to me again. "Darling, I know you're there. Come in."

   I sigh. There's no point in running. He'll just come to my room if I do. I walk into his room and awkwardly stand in front of his desk.

   Crowley's appearance is a little jarring up close. He doesn't look like himself at all. He looks...softer, if that makes sense. Almost human. A thin layer of sweat coats his face, and he's panting softly at the rush of indulging in his addiction.

   I don't expect him to yell, but I do expect him to be stern with me for spying. But he's not. Instead, his tone is soft. "How much did you see, love?"

   I avert my gaze in shame. Once he recovers from this, he'll definitely yell at me. Or torture me. Maybe both. That thought makes my stomach sink. "Um...all of it. And I heard you talk to that other demon about stealing blood bags outside of my room and how you're addicted to blood." I meet his eyes once more. "And, by the looks of this situation, I'm assuming that that's true?"

   Crowley nods, shutting his eyes and leaning back in his chair. "It's true," he slurs. "And it's a problem. I know it is. Human blood is making me...less evil. More than that, it's making me human." He opens his eyes. "It's giving me feelings that I haven't felt in hundreds of years. Remorse, sentimentality... The King of Hell shouldn't have any humanity in him. But I just can't stop injecting the blood. It gives me an indescribable rush of pleasure... I can't stop." He sighs, running a hand down his face. "I can't quit. I'm in too deep now."

   Ah. Maybe the humanity in him is what made him act so pleasantly.

   "I can help you quit," I blurt out. Maybe if I help Crowley overcome his addiction, he won't make me go on demonic missions anymore.

   He raises an eyebrow. "You can? Darling, that's easier said than done."

   "I know," I say. "But I can still try."

   Crowley smiles a bit. "All right, then."

   So with that, I take all of Crowley's needles, have him warn the demons not to give him blood under any circumstances, and dispose of his last remaining blood bag.

   Once this is all done, Crowley pouts. "I'm gonna miss all of that..."

   I smile and pat his head. Surprisingly, he closes his eyes and smiles a little. "You won't for long."

   I retract my hand as Crowley's eyes open. "Whatever you say, love."

   I plop down on his couch and turn on the TV. He looks at me quizzically, probably wondering why I'm not scampering back off to my room. My eyes meet his and I say, "What? I have to keep an eye on you just in case you decide to indulge again."

   Crowley shrugs. "Fair enough."

   "Sorry if my presence will be a bother," I state, smiling softly.

   "No, no, kitten. It won't be a bother. Trust me." Crowley sends a smirk my way, and I can feel my face flush.

   I look back at the TV, hoping that that wasn't the blood talking.