A bout of frustration and fatigue welled up in Beth. "Shite."

"Language, woman."

"It's barred. We cannot get up here. Let me down."

As she stood on her own, Burt shrugged. "That's too bad, but I guess we've gotta wait now." He wrinkled his brow and brushed some dust from her sleeve. "Your Gater friend has dressed you well, and now you're soiling his precious shirt." He grinned.

She had told Burt what had transpired in Leo's apartment. About his daughter, Hope, and about him trying to protect Beth from Hammer.

"But he might still..." Burt rubbed her sleeve between his fingers. "... be willing to help you." Then he moved his thumb along the back of her hand.

The touch sent goosebumps up her arm, but Beth tried to concentrate on what Burt had said. "I don't think Leo would help me." Why should he? His loyalties lay elsewhere.

Burt seized both her hands and stepped closer. "You're sure about that?"

"Why should he help me? He doesn't even know me." She glanced at the door. "Be careful; they could come in at any time."

"So what?" He caressed her neck, stroking the skin behind her ear with a calloused thumb. His smile wrinkled the corner of his eyes. "These people seem to know all about claiming. Nothing could shock them."

Beth was torn between pushing his hand away and giving in to the shivers his slow finger movements sent down her spine. The fatigue she had felt only moments ago was gone.

"I've spent the day down here, making out with shadows," he said.

She laughed. "Making out with shadows? That's a great line."

"There was nothing better to do." He grinned at her, taking a step closer.

He smelled of sweat and man and animal as he gazed at her.

A clang from the door made her freeze.

Light streamed into the room as she pushed Burt away and turned to face the entry. Rock's bulky outline was easy to recognize against the unexpected brightness. He held a gun. It looked like Theodore's, the one that Leo had confiscated.

"Oh," he said.

"What do you want?" Burt made fists of both of his hands.

"Her!" Rock pointed at Beth. "Leo wants her."

Burt took a step towards Rock but stopped when the gun was pointed at him.

He looked at Beth, his muscles unknotting. Half of his face was pale in the light, the other half almost dissolving in shadow. "Remember what we said? He really seems to like you." A hint of a smile flickered along his lips and was gone a moment later.

Yes, Leo might have a sweet spot for her.

She nodded and then looked back at Rock. "Okay, let's go."

Rock made room for her to pass. She stepped into the corridor. He locked the door behind them and hung the key on a hook next to it.

Outside, the waning light on the incoming night cast the tiers in deep shadow. The sky above the central fields had turned a dark blue, and lamps shone outside the huts. Laughter and the scent of cooking came from that direction.

Rock turned left and motioned her to ascend the stairs, his bearded face unmoving.

She stopped and looked at him. "What does Leo want from me?"

He shrugged. "This isn't my concern. But there's no falsehood in Leo. He—"

A movement in the shadows of a pile of junk next to the stairs made him stop. "Who's that?"

"S'me." A girl's head popped up from behind an old crate—gap-toothed and pigtailed.

"Starlet, you should be with your granny," Rock said. "It's gonna be dark soon."

Instead of obeying, she came closer and took Beth's hand, inspecting it. " Spike said you Gaters go green at night. When's that?"

Beth chuckled. "He must have been joking. I'm not turning green, never."

The girl chewed her lips. "You're just regular people, then. S'a pity." Not letting go of Beth's hand, she looked up at her, disappointment written with a frown across her face. "What's your name?"

"Beth."

She frowned. "And what does Beth mean?"

Beth shrugged. "I don't know."

"Names should mean something. S'just proper."

"Yours means little star, right?"

She nodded solemnly. Without a further word, she let go of Beth's hands and ran off towards the village.

"Children and fools, they always speak the truth." Rock motioned Beth to move on.

As she ascended, she pondered the man's words. "You pick your words well," she said aloud.

He didn't reply, and they continued in silence. When they finally reached the entry to Leo's apartment, he stopped, his fingers on its handle. She couldn't see his face against the dusk-lit window at the end of the corridor.

"Turn your wounds into wisdom," he said and opened the door.

Trying to make sense of this statement, she yielded to his gentle push as he urged her into the room.