Don't Hold Your Breath (Levi x Reader AU)

Start from the beginning

After a few minutes, you once again took a deep breath and dove. You drifted along the bottom until your chest began to constrict.

You glanced down at your watch. Crap. Still eighteen seconds off. But you couldn't wait for air any longer. Lungs burning, you propelled yourself toward the surface.

Out of nowhere, Levi appeared in front of you. He grabbed your face, halting your ascent as he brought his lips to yours, forcing your mouth open and breathing into you.

Air rushed into your starving lungs. Once you got over the initial shock, you brought your hands up to cup Levi's face, savoring the sensation. Even though he was giving you air, he still managed to take your breath away.

When Levi ran out of oxygen, the two of you kicked upward, gasping and coughing as you met the air.

You glanced at your watch, then looked sidelong at Levi. "I think that counts as cheating," you remarked, a hint of a smile touching your lips.

"Tch. Brat." That was all the warning he gave before he pulled you into him, bodies melting together as his lips crashed against yours.

You sighed, sliding your hands around his shoulders and up the back of his neck before finally twining your fingers in his hair. The kiss sent butterflies dancing in your stomach. However, since the two of you still hadn't recovered from being underwater, it wasn't long before you had to break apart for air.

You caught your breath a split second before Levi did. Feeling a little reckless, you leaned in and traced your tongue across his lips, savoring the bitter taste of saltwater. His breath hitched, but before he could act on his desire, you slipped away and flipped through the water, intentionally stretching as you did so in order to accentuate your lithe body. Now a few feet away, you found his gaze and smiled – a playful, wicked thing. A challenge danced in your eyes. Come and get me...

And oh, he did. Levi shoved you against the wall of the tank, giving you a long, hard kiss on the lips before moving his attention to your neck. As he trailed kisses down your throat, you wrapped your arms and legs around him, pressing your bodies together. 

You arched your neck back, allowing easier access to your sensitive skin. "Ah," you sighed as his lips found your sweet spot. Your soft sighs continued as he caressed that same spot with his tongue, tasting you as you had tasted him. And when he replaced his tongue with his teeth, you couldn't stop the moan that escaped your lips. "Levi..."

He captured your mouth with his own, unable to hold back as your sounds awakened something primal within him. "Careful, now," he purred in between kisses. "We wouldn't want someone to hear your noises and come investigate." His lips slid across your jawline, until you felt his breath tickling your ear. "You know," Levi hissed, sliding a hand up the side of your waist, "you look really good in that wetsuit."

"So do you," you breathed. As you said it, you pulled your body back just enough to slowly run a hand down his torso for emphasis. Levi groaned through clenched teeth as your fingers traced the muscles along his abdomen, lower...

In a heartbeat, Levi had grabbed your wrist and slammed it against the wall next to your head. Amused by the results of your own wicked teasing, you started to laugh at his intense reaction, until you were silenced by his mouth crushing onto yours. 

Levi nipped at your bottom lip, and you parted for him. Heat bloomed in your core when you felt his tongue flick your own. You arched into him, savoring the electricity that sparked everywhere he touched as his hands roamed up and down your back. The wetsuits you both wore were like a second skin, leaving very little to the imagination as you pressed even closer.

The manatees had – wisely – made themselves scarce.

After a few moments, Levi tried to break apart for air, but you had other ideas. As payback for earlier, you wrapped your hands around the back of his head, forcing his face to stay pressed against yours until you decided to let him go. It wasn't easy, since Levi was stronger than you, but leverage and his own lightheadedness were on your side.

About fifteen seconds later, you at last allowed him to take a breath.

Once Levi stopped gasping for air, he grabbed your chin and growled, "Are you trying to kill me?"

You chuckled darkly as you leaned in close, your lips almost brushing his, but not quite. "Perhaps, darling, you should practice holding your breath longer," you purred.

You pulled back just a hair, so you could enjoy Levi's shocked expression. However, it was quickly replaced by a wicked smirk of his own. Your confidence faltered, and a shiver ran up your spine as you were struck with the sensation that you had bitten off a little more than you could chew.

With a predator's grin, Levi leaned in, copying your movements from earlier. "I have an idea, darling," he whispered as he brushed his mouth against your lips, then your cheekbone, then down to your jaw. "Why don't we practice holding our breath together?"

You had half a second to inhale as much air as possible before Levi dragged you down into the deep, and his lips met yours once more.