The twin year's happy beginning

My mom's arrival was one we always look forward to. First was the pickup at the airport, trying to guess what she would look like today which included her wig/hairstyle , her dress mode and skin tone. She came with much excitement and glee bearing gifts . She had a friendly personality which her friends admire.
Not sure why, but if my mom did not stop at KFC when she arrived in the island, there would be no rest for us. This woman was obsessed with this franchise's secret recipe. She was a KFC freak. My older sibling and I had skipped the mark but my younger sibling was twins with her obsession. Fried Chick freaks.

The week of her arrival was no different from the others . She visited her neighbors ,who even though were in grief were ecstatic to see her.
She brought treasured memories which they had forgotten about their loved one that they laughed over while comforting themselves. It was a great week.

The next week was work week. It was the last days before the function of the great blast. Tents had to go up. Tables and chairs had to be delivered . Food had to be pre- prepared, Visitors had to be escorted from the airport. By that time, my two brothers and stepdad had arrived on separate flights. My step dad from California and my brothers from New York.

The once empty house bustled with loud laughter, guffaws,childhood memories and teasing. It was a welcoming scene to behold. I missed them all and I was glad for the opportunity for all of us to meet together again.

Other visitors started arriving the next week from New York. My mother's and brother's friends. It was a full house.
Some of them were enjoying their first visit to our beautiful island Jamaica. It was my and my siblings responsibilties even though the latter lived abroad to showcase our 'one of a kind' birth place. Even sharing our world class dialect 'patois' . They did enjoyed the effort we made to accommodate their curiosity about this unique place. It was quite an experience.

Everyone chipped in to play the part ,working effortlessly and tirelessly to ensure we had a bomb function. It was lit.
No one was watching the events taking place in other countries.The world news was the last thing on our minds, it was the least of our priorities. This was our time to shine and shine we would.

It was now Friday. The last day before the party. This means hairdresser, nail techs, last minute shopping for my nieces and children. Plus I had to make the centre pieces for the tables.

The deliveries started coming in early. The chairs and tables were the first to arrived. The tents were already up. The programme was being completed. You could feel the excitement in the air.

That night we went to bed very early. My spouse and I had a full day a head of us. Decorating is no joke. It takes hours of preparations ,precise detailing, keen observing to get the perfect picture. Even though they were my parents ,on the business side of things, they were our clients. We had a good reputation as a decor company so we were going to show out and show out we did.

The red and white gala was the talk of the community. It wowed some and shocked some. The backdrop was the highlight of the decor. With lots of red hearts and other ornaments dangling from the top. The tent had a ray of white balls strung through with silver ribbons hanging from the roof.

 The tent had a ray of white balls strung through with silver ribbons hanging from the roof

It was the second time some of my neighbors had witnessed my work . Previously I had decorated two weddings for them . My neighbors on the left and the ones at the foot of the hill for the sons sister- in law.

Never in my front yard have this been done. It drew lots of curiosity and speculation from passersby both pedestrians and drivers.
Most commented that there would be a wedding. It was the human nature of Jamaicans to be curious .

The event started at five in the afternoon. People started arriving dressed in their white apparel of different styles.

Jamaicans can dress and they make the most of every occasion . They were show boaters by nature. Jamaicans would find the silliest excuse not to attend a function if their wardrobe was not matching or if an item of clothing was not present to' bling' as we would say. They were fashionistas by nature. 'Dem love fi dress up'

My parents renewal of vows service was one of reverence. Done by our long time family friend and Bishop. They were actually blessed to have one Bishop and two Pastors in attendance. My parents were deeply religious people so it was only fitting that most of the attendees were people from their church and associates they knew from the early years before they migrated to the US of A.

The anniversary ceremony was next . It was not to be outdone . It showcased their 21 years of knowing each other. Their split for some years and then their reunion six years ago. It was filled with happy sighs, prayers, laughter,games, toasts,well wishing that went on way passed 9 o clock .

The prize giving was fun, fun to those who won the US funds taped under the chair,the phone card quick fingers give aways and the bingo fan winner.

When it was all over , and the guest had departed to their respective hotels and homes ,we sat in my mother's over crowded living room reliving the nights events, we realized two things, we did not take any family pics and I had shared all my mother's birthday cake to her friends forgetting to leave a piece for her.

My siblings and their guest laughed at me the whole night. Good thing they were two cakes. A half of the anniversary one was still left so...

It was a night that we would always treasure. Precious memories.