Chapter 6

Apologies in advance for the crappy chapter...

"Dad," I called, running down the stairs. "Have you seen my grey and blue Under Armour bag? I need my shin guards and cleats."

"No, I haven't. Why do you need them? I thought soccer season was over." He looked at me over his coffee mug as he took a drink.

"We still have two games." I threw my hands up in the air and ran back upstairs to look for it. I swung open my closet door and jumped to see if it was on the shelf. It was. I reached my arm as far as I could but I couldn't reach it. Damn. I needed to quit throwing stuff up there. I grabbed a chair to stand on and got the bag.

"You're gonna be late," he yelled up the stairs.

"Billie's giving me a ride." I walked down the stairs with my backpack and Under Armour bag.

"Who is Billie?" He raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms. "He's not your boyfriend, is he?"

"No, she is not my boyfriend," I said. "I don't even know why you'd ask that."

"Sorry. I just didn't know if maybe you decided to change or something." He raised his arms in surrender.

"That's not how it works. I don't choose to be attracted to girls. I just am. You didn't choose to be attracted to girls." I walked to the laundry room and grabbed my jerseys. There was a knock at the door and my dad answered.

"Cameron! Caaaaamer—" he shouted from the front door.

"I'm literally right here. Just because you can't hear, doesn't mean I can't." I stuffed my jerseys in my bag. "Why are you yelling?"

"Leave me alone."

I walked out and shut the door behind me. "Cameron?" Billie raised an eyebrow.

"That's my middle name." I rolled my eyes.

"What's got you in such a pissy mood?" she asked as we got in the car.

"My dad's just being ignorant." I shook my head.

"What'd he do?"

I thought about it for a minute. I didn't want her to know that I liked girls. I didn't want her to think that I liked her and start acting weird. "Nothing."

"What's the extra bag for?"

"Soccer stuff. We have a game today." I buckled my seat belt and she started driving.

"Really?" she asked excitedly. "Are you for real?"

"Yeah." I laughed at her excitement. "It's a home game."

"Can I come?"

"Sure. Knock yourself out. It's at six. I don't think my dad's coming because he didn't know it was tonight," I said. "But it's been stressful lately. He's been on his phone a lot. I think it's because of work. I'm sure that's why he forgot."

"Yeah." She pulled the car to a stop in the parking lot. "I'll see you later."

"Bye." I got out of the car. The day went by slowly. My mind kept drifting to Billie. I needed to stop. I always ended up liking the straight girls. She was also way out of my league. The dismissal bell finally rang, so I headed to the locker room.

I met Kempley on the way. "Will there be anybody that can't make it?" she asked.

"Shouldn't be," I replied, pushing the door to the locker room open and swiftly closing it behind us. "If somebody doesn't show, they'll be in for a rude awakening because they all said they'll be here."