I don't usually skip school, but one of my coworkers called in sick and we were understaffed. I volunteered to cover for his shift. Whatever way I could get extra money, I would do it.

I do this sort of thing rarely. But even so, I don't dare tell Sun Won. I'm supposed to be a good role model. Besides, she's too young to understand that I need to make money for us to survive.

"Morning, Yeon Joon!" My boss, Mr. Lee, calls from the kitchen. He pops out a second later, carrying a couple of rags.

I bow my head. "Good morning, Mr. Lee."

"You're always early. Those good for nothing rascals never come early like you do." He made a tsk sound, referring to my coworkers.

"That's why I'm your favorite employee, sir."

He chuckled. "You have no idea." He shook his head with a laugh. "Why don't you start wiping the tables and mop the floor? I have to take care of the kitchen." I nod and take one of the rags he was carrying. I set my bag in the the locker room out back. I change into my work uniform.

Mr. Lee makes the tastiest chicken in all of Seoul. At least, I thought so. The place would always be filled with customers in the mood for chicken and beer.

"I thought I could find someone else to replace Hyun Woo before you called, Yeon Joon. I don't like it when you skip school to work."

I smiled politely. "It's not a problem, Mr. Lee. I'm glad to cover any shift you may need."

He lightly hit my arm. "That's not what a student should be saying! If you were my son, I'd beat you if I found out you were skipping school."

"If I were your son, I would be the luckiest boy." I grinned. Mr. Lee rolled his eyes but let out a laugh.

I was almost done wiping the last table--Table 12--when I heard the bell chime. I turned my head and see Young Min. I wipe my hands and greet him, looking at him expectantly.

He rolled his eyes. "Yes, I bought it."

I sighed in relief. "You are a lifesaver, Choi Young Min."

"You should have seen the look I got from the lady at the register when I bought it. She was hot, too." He sighed in disappointment.

"You can hit on a hot girl any other day. But bringing your coworker and friend happiness is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Be thankful." I smiled cheekily which he rolled his eyes at. "Where is it?" I ask excitedly.

From his backpack, he brought out a small box. I held the precious box in my hands. "I'm going to go change into my uniform now. You owe me for that." He muttered.

Because I'm always busy, I couldn't go shop myself. I had to ask Young Min to shop at the toy store and get the perfect you. He also had a little sister so he would know which one to buy. He may not admit it, but he had great taste as to what little girls liked.

I shut the locker after I carefully put the box inside my bag, feeling relaxed now because I wouldn't go empty-handed again for Sun Won's birthday. Or give her a lame gift like I did last year. This year, my sister would get the Barbie doll she's always wanted.

°°°°°

With much reluctance, I was let off early by Mr. Lee. He said I needed to go to school. The poor man became guilty that I was missing out on my lessons. In a way, he was slowly acting like my father.

"Goodbye, Mr. Lee. I will see you later." I bow my head. I wave a goodbye to Young Min and head outside. I slung my bag over my shoulder and turned the bike around, making my way to school.