THIRTEEN

Friday couldn't have been more stressful. After their blowout the day before, there was no question as to why Adam and Delanie were awkwardly avoiding each other. There was a big part of Delanie that wanted to apologize. She had seen Adam at the game the night before, cheering his friends on, staying in his seat when the rest of the team left. She had seen the color drain from his face when Zander talked to him. It didn't take a genius to put two and two together.

Maybe he was different. And maybe she was being a jerk.

But when Julie came in the room, and Adam started blurting apologies and excuses, the idea of apologizing went out the window. Tensions were far too high. Julie wouldn't even look at the boy, let alone talk to him. She didn't talk to Delanie much, either, though there was no real reason for that. The trio just stayed silent for most of class, and when the bell rang, Julie was the first to leave.

Delanie couldn't help but glance at Adam when she was putting her bag on. He had a downcast look on his face, and he was slow in putting his supplies away. She almost began to say something, but stopped herself. He glanced up at her, and all she could do was hope that he saw the sympathy in her eyes.

She left without saying a word.

- -

Connie's mom dropped the group of girls off at the Mall of America at almost exactly 1pm on Saturday afternoon. She ushered them out quickly, calling countless warnings to "be safe" and "stick together" as they all hopped out of the car. The girls all shouted their thank you's before shutting the door and watching the woman drive away.

Julie smiled as they stepped into the mall, wrapping her arms tightly around Rosa and Connie, who stood on either side of her. "Man, I really need this right now."

Connie laughed along with her, "God, me too. The last two days sucked. Big time."

Rosa smiled as she hugged the blonde back. Mabel was walking ahead of the group, her eyes wide. "Holy crap," she gawked, "how the hell have I never been here before?"

Delanie chuckled, kicking her friend's heel, "That's what I'm saying. This place is a must for anyone who's ever been to Minnesota."

"Not my fault I didn't grow up here!" Mabel countered, sticking her tongue out at her friend. "But seriously," she said, turning back around, "this is crazy."

"Where to first?" Rosa asked, turning to Delanie, who just shrugged. The girls delegated back and forth for a little while before deciding on just wandering around and seeing where their feet take them.

They walked around for a while, riding a ride or two, window shopping, playing a few games. They were holed up at a ring toss booth that Mabel was finding to be rigged when Connie made eye contact with a familiar boy a few yards away. Delanie leaned against the booth, chirping at Mabel. "Give it up, Mabes. You're not gonna get it," she jeered, watching as her friend missed yet another toss.

Rosa shook her head, "C'mon, Hendricks. You know these things are always fixed."

Mabel set her jaw in determination. "I'm not a quitter!" she shouted, placing another couple of dollars on the counter. The kid working just chuckled to himself, putting her bills in his apron and fetching the rings for her for what was probably the tenth time.

Connie elbowed Julie, nodding in the direction of three boys. Julie let out a huff, "Oh you have got to be kidding me."

Delanie turned her attention to the pair, her eyebrows quirked. "What's wrong?" she asked, genuine concern lacing her words. Julie nodded in the direction she and Connie were facing, and Delanie followed her gaze. She immediately recognized Adam, standing with two boys she had definitely seen before, but didn't know. She felt her breath hitch. "Oh God," she muttered, shaking her head, "we can't catch a break."