EIGHT

Before she knew it, Delanie was sandwiched in between her two friends, a blanket over her lap. She also held a book in her hands, a desperate attempt to distract herself from the game in front of her. She wasn't even sure why she agreed to this, but it was really starting to bite her in the butt. She could be doing homework -- or better yet, napping. She would've had her dorm room all to herself, with Julie and her teammates coming to support Adam.

But no. Her dumb pride made her want to prove some sort of point to her stupid, hot history partner.

"I'm still so surprised you wanted to come with us," Mabel said in between bites of the nachos she had purchased five minutes ago.

Delanie took a deep breath, "You and me both."

Rosa turned to her friend, looking from the book in her lap to her bored countenance and back again. "So... what's the real reason you wanted to come tonight?"

Delanie turned to the older girl, whose knowing look told her that her "I don't want to do my homework" excuse was pathetic. She couldn't exactly tell them that she came for Adam -- she wouldn't even know how to explain that. What, she wanted to show him that she was more than just some girl that hated hockey? Or maybe she didn't want him to think that she wasn't interested in him.

Was she interested in him?

Delanie didn't realize exactly how long she had left Rosa's question hanging in the air for. Her two best friends were staring expectantly at her, confusion dancing in their eyes. She cleared her throat, "Uh... Nigel! Nigel asked me -- well, told me... uh, that Jett wanted me to come. Or something... like... that."

Rosa glanced at Mabel, who shrugged, before nodding, "O...kay. I'm afraid to ask again so sure, I'll believe that."

Delanie decided it would be best for her to just keep her mouth shut for a little while. The game hadn't started yet, but the players were beginning to take the ice for warm ups. Delanie recognized most of them from their numbers -- the same numbers they wore when they were kids. Zander was 16, Nigel was 38, Chris was 42. And of course, Jett wore his iconic 2. That stupid number was all over their house. He had never worn a different number.

Adam's number was still a mystery. Delanie found herself squinting to see the players' faces on the ice. She spotted Rick (and almost gagged), then Cole, and of course she knew Scooter was the goalie. She finally found the blond standing near the boards on the far side, his eyes intently focused on the older boys who were practicing their shooting. Delanie scoffed when she read the number on his arm. Of course this kid thinks he's good enough to wear Gretzky's number.

She didn't realize that she was staring until something obstructed her view. She glanced up to see a familiar side profile. The girl in front of her did a double-take. "Delanie? Hi!" It was Julie, along with a bunch of her teammates. And they had all decided that sitting right in front of Delanie and her friends was a great idea.

Delanie smiled, her face a bit flushed from discomfort. This night really was a train wreck. First her embarrassing story time with Rosa and Mabel, and now she's practically getting caught staring at Adam by one of his best friends. "Hey Julie. How are you?"

Julie smiled, "I'm good! A bit surprised to see you here, but I guess I shouldn't be. Here for Jett, right?"

Delanie nodded, a lie rolling easily off of her tongue,"I promised him I'd come to at least one. Figured tonight was as good as any." Out of the corners of her eyes, she caught Mabel and Rosa exchanging a look. She mentally face palmed. "Right. Julie, this is Rosa and Mabel. Guys, this is my roommate Julie."

The girls smiled, saying hello to each other. A brunette boy glanced over his shoulder at the exchange, a confused look on his face. Julie ruffled his curly hair, "This is Charlie Conway. He's our captain."

A sour look spread across the boy's handsome face. "I WAS our captain. Until Orion decided to take a good thing and mess it up."

"You guys don't like him very much do you?" Mabel asked, suddenly very intrigued by the conversation. Charlie just rolled his eyes and shook his head. Mabel continued, "I sit next to Connie in my Art class. She... has some bold opinions."

Julie laughed, "Sounds about right. I mean, he made me starting goalie, so I guess I can't complain too much but..." She trailed off, her point still coming across loud and clear.

The group sat and chatted throughout the entirety of warm ups, Julie and Charlie both with their backs turned towards the ice while they spoke with the three girls sitting behind them. They didn't even think to turn back around until another boy nudged Charlie's arm and pointed towards the ice. They had caught Adam's eye, and were all waving and making faces at him. He smiled, laughing quietly under his breath.

Before Delanie could advert her gaze, it was too late. The pair made eye contact, Adam's eyes widening ever so slightly. He couldn't decide whether or not to smile at her. For a few seconds, he just stared, waiting for her expression to somehow change. To his dismay, she turned and spoke to her friend instead, leaving him dejectedly staring in her direction.

As he turned his gaze back towards the ice, his eyes fell to Julie, who glanced over her shoulder before looking back at him, her eyebrows raised. As though he could read her mind, he shook his head, causing the blonde girl to shrug her shoulders nonchalantly.

The moment Adam turned his attention back towards the game in front of him, Julie leaned back to talk to Delanie. "You know, I think Banksy's a bit surprised to see you," she noted, a strange, knowing looking on her face.

Delanie scoffed, "Well, I don't see why he would be. After all, I knew the start time better than he did. You'd think he'd be able to put two and two together."

Julie laughed, but seemingly agreed with her. After a pause, she posed the girl with another question. "You really don't like him, do you?" she asked, one of her eyebrows perked.

Delanie didn't exactly know the answer to that question. Did she? The easy answer was no -- after all, he annoyed the hell out of her. But if that was really all to the story then... why was she here? She shook her head, "He... definitely annoys me."

"Mmhm," Julie hummed in faux agreement, her face clearly portraying her disbelief. Before Delanie could question her, there was a whistle from the ice, causing Julie to completely turn back around. Delanie couldn't help but glance at the two girls next to her, praying that they hadn't been paying attention to that conversation. Mabel, who had been enthralled by something Charlie was saying, seemed to be oblivious. Rosa was harder to read, as she was resting her head on her fist and just watching what was happening on the ice.

Delanie took a deep breath, her eyes falling to the bench. She found her gaze stuck on the large 2 sitting on her brother's back, resting below their last name. A wave of sadness poked at her heart, but she brushed it away with a sigh. She was just hoping this game was a quick one.

a/n : hi! this chapter is terrible! i'm sorry!

if you have any desire, i just posted the first part of my all new Newsies fanfic. feel free to check that out!

again... i'm sorry for this garbage.