TWELVE

Delanie's Thursday, like every other day, began with her sitting next to - and doing her very best to ignore - Adam Banks. The pair hadn't talked much at all since Monday, mainly because Delanie was avoiding him like the plague. It was bad enough that Charlie and Connie were already on her case, she didn't need to give anyone else a reason to bug her.

Adam tried a few times to get her attention, tossing snarky jokes her way or asking if he could copy off her paper. The only response he ever got out of her was a dry, "No, Adam."

She chatted with Julie frequently, and Adam noticed how well the pair were beginning to get along. He really hadn't predicted that they would become such good friends, yet there they were, chatting as though they'd known each other their entire lives. He was jealous.

A wave of relief flooded over him when Julie turned in his direction. "Are you coming to our game tonight? It's the first home game we've got."

Adam nodded quickly, "Yeah, of course." He smiled at her before remembering something. He awkwardly scratched the nape of his neck. "Um, actually, the entire team is coming," he admitted nervously, frowning at the disappointment that flashed on his friend's face.

Julie sighed, "Great. Just what we need." She shook her head angrily before seemingly getting an idea. She turned to Delanie, hope gleaming in her eyes. "Lanie, will you come tonight?"

Delanie looked up from her worksheet, startled but her sudden inclusion in the conversation. Her eyes darted from Adam to Julie. "Uh, why?" she asked after a moment, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

Julie smiled hopefully, "Well, I know it's not your favorite thing in the world, but Connie and I could really use the support of people we actually like, especially since varsity is going to be there. You'd be like a security blanket, yknow?"

Delanie thought for a moment before smiling softly. Of course, she still wasn't the biggest fan of the game, but how on earth could she possibly have said no to that? She didn't realize that she meant that much to either of the female players. "Sure, I'll see what Mabel and Rosa are doing," she agreed with a smile. Julie just grinned before spinning around in her seat.

Adam sent a quizzical gaze at the girl next to him, but she had already returned her attention to her classwork. He knew he should focus on his work, but he couldn't help but wonder if she had registered the fact that he and his team would be sitting in the same stands as her in a few hours.

He tried to, but he couldn't quite bite back the quip that was on his tongue. "You know, for someone who hates hockey, you seem to really enjoy going to hockey games," he posed, his eyes fastened on the girl's side profile.

Delanie rolled her eyes before turning to her blonde seat partner. "You know, for someone who's supposed to be popular, you seem to be really desperate for friends," she shot back.

Adam scoffed, "Yknow, maybe we could be friends if you didn't rebuke everything that I say. Would it kill you to say one nice thing to me?"

"Maybe I wouldn't have to rebuke it if you stepped off your high horse for a minute," Delanie fumed, her jaw set angrily. "Besides, are you really going to sit here and pretend like you've been kind to me? Give me a break!"

Julie whirled around in her seat, her eyes wide. "Guys-" she began softly, but was overshadowed by Adam.

"Seriously, Park, why do you have to challenge every single thing that comes out of my mouth?" he asked, leaning down to peer into her eyes.