SEVEN

"It's crazy how much I hate high schoolers, considering I am one," Rosa huffed, taking her seat next to Mabel at their lunch table. She looked beyond stressed. The bags under her eyes were far darker than anyone else's, and it constantly seemed as though she was on the verge of tears. Mabel patted the older girl's shoulder sympathetically.

Delanie gave an empathetic smile before turning her gaze to the half-eaten salad in front of her. She gave a sigh of her own, realizing how exhausted she was as well. She knew life at Eden Hall wasn't going to be easy, but they were only a week in and she was already worn out. She couldn't even imagine what was going through Rosa's head. The three girls ate in silence for a few moments before Mabel perked up, a mischievous look in her eyes as she glanced at Delanie across the table. When Delanie caught her gaze, she perked a nervous eyebrow. "Oh God, what is it?" she asked, setting her fork down as a precaution.

Mabel gave a nonchalant shrug as she poked at her food. She didn't say anything for a while, but her snide smirk never wavered. Delanie's impatience continued to build until she couldn't wait any longer. Just as she was about to repeat her question, Mabel opened her mouth, "So, varsity hockey game tonight. You guys in?"

Another silence fell upon the trio before it gave way to Rosa's laughter. It took a moment, but soon Mabel was laughing along with her. Delanie shook her head, resisting laughter of her own. "I can't believe that's what we waited so long for," Rosa giggled, her face reddening. Delanie squeezed the bridge of her nose in disappointment.

Once Mabel came down from her inconsolable laughter, she took a deep breath. "Okay, the execution was hilarious. But what if I wasn't... totally joking?" she asked, cautiously eyeing the brunette across the table from her.

Delanie raised an eyebrow. "You actually want to go to the game?" she asked, and when Mabel nodded, Delanie's eyebrows furrowed, "Why?"

Mabel shrugged sheepishly, "I dunno, might be fun..." she trailed off a little bit, suddenly a little embarrassed at the idea. Rosa glanced between the two, but didn't say anything. There was a little bit of awkwardness, which Mabel quickly tried to erase, "I was just messing around, Lanie. I know you don't want to..." she was halfway through her sentence when she realized that her friend was no longer looking at her, nor was she listening. Her gaze was focused at something behind the blonde.

As Mabel had started talking, a pair of very familiar boys walked by, immediately capturing Delanie's attention. The older of the two was Zander Lowry, someone who Delanie had yet to see since the year began. He met her gaze for a brief moment, seemingly debating whether or not to say hello. He settled for a minuscule smile, a gesture that Delanie didn't return.

Zander's smile caught the attention of his companion, causing the other boy to turn to see who the intended recipient was. Delanie knew exactly who he was from his side profile, but when he fully turned to face her, her stomach still dropped. As soon as his blue eyes met hers, Adam's smile disappeared. Delanie wanted to look away, just as he had a week before, but she failed. They maintained eye contact for far too long before Mabel finally snapped Delanie out of it. "Lanie?"

Delanie turned back to her friends, both of whom had concerned looks on their faces. She shook her head, her face flushing with embarrassment. "Sorry, um..." she trailed off slightly, collecting her thoughts. She took a deep breath, straightening her back. She met Mabel's gaze steadily, "You know what? Let's go."

Mabel's face didn't change for a long moment, and when it did, it mirrored the internal confusion that Delanie felt at her own words. The blonde shook her head, "Um- go where?"

"The game. Let's do it," Delanie clarified, silently hoping that she sounded more certain than she felt.

It was Rosa's turn to chime in, clearly just as confused as Mabel. "You want to go to the hockey game tonight?" she asked.

Delanie nodded, "Well... no, but... I also really don't want to spend the entire night doing homework again, so..."

Rosa and Mabel exchanged an uncertain glance before shrugging their shoulders. A grin spread across Mabel's lips. "Alright!" she cheered, "Sounds like we're going to a hockey game."

--

"What was that about?" Zander asked his new friend as they approached their lunch table. The blonde had nearly run into the older boy while they were walking, all because he couldn't take his eyes off of Jett Park's little sister.

Adam's face reddened, but he tried to play it cool. He cleared his throat, "What was what about?"

Zander nodded back towards the front of the room, "Your little staring contest with Jett's sister. Are you guys like... a thing? Or do you just make eyes at all the girls in your class?"

"I wasn't making eyes at her," Adam said sternly, and a little too loudly. The pair had reached their teammates faster than he had realized, and now all eyes were on him.

Chris and Cole both perked up, already curious to see where this was going. Nigel wasn't paying any attention, nor was Scooter, but the loud freshman had Jett's burning gaze focused on him. Adam was already intimidated by the star of the team, this was the last thing he needed. He lowered his gaze as Rick Riley jumped into the conversation. "Oh?" Rick asked, "Who's Banks got his eye on? C'mon, Adam, point her out. We'll talk to her for you if you're too scared." His tone was demeaning, causing Adam to ball his fists.

Jett was quick to notice the look on Adam's face. "He said he wasn't making eyes at anyone, Rick," Jett repeated coolly, slouching back in his chair, "Zander's just poking fun."

Rick pouted, "Boo, Jett. You're always one to ruin our fun, aren't you?"

Jett rolled his eyes, but had no response. He met Adam's gaze, though this time, Adam didn't shy away. He offered the senior a grateful smile. Jett answered with a small nod before turning to talk to Nigel. Adam took a seat next to Zander, but couldn't help casting a glance over his shoulder as he did so. His eyes immediately found Delanie, who laughing at something her animated friend was saying. He realized that she was pretty -- really pretty -- even though it killed him to admit it.

Turning back around, he dismissed the thought. She may have been pretty, but she was also stubborn and arrogant and wanted nothing to do with him. Not to mention she was Jett's sister. Going after her wasn't worth the hassle, nor was it worth the beating from Jett. He would just have to settle for bothering her in history.

--

a.n : hi babies! sorry sorry sorry, i've been the busiest with school and work recently. but i swear i'm trying to write more! here's this quick update to tide you guys over for hopefully a little while!