23. The Initiation (EDITED)

23. The Initiation

Yasmin dragged the body out of the alleyway and away from the city. When she reached some place dark with enough foliage to cloak her shift, she left her animal form for a mortal appearance.

"Master," she whispered urgently into the darkness, knowing he was close by. His sharp herbaceous scent was difficult to miss.

Julio staggered out of the bush. Wordlessly, he started examining the body. Yasmin turned her head. She couldn't look at him. Not after what he had done to himself. If she had known that he needed help controlling Amancio, she would have come to his side without hesitation. Instead, he left her to play caretaker to Sofia's mamãe.

Meanwhile Julio had fought off assassins. Where he found the energy to conjure a storm and herd Sofia and Toni towards safety, she hadn't the slightest idea.

There were so many details Yasmin felt that her Master was still hiding from her.

As if sensing her unease, Julio said, "Speak your mind."

She took a steadying breath and gestured to the lifeless human. "Amancio did this?"

Julio's expression was stoic, but his face was paler than ever.

"I told him that the headaches would get worse. It's my fault. I pushed him too hard with the dreams. I intruded his mind too many times. It's possible for him to heal, but not if he doesn't rest. I didn't expect him to go this far. Leaving the river like that . . . it could very well tear his mind apart."

He sounded like he was still in shock. The reality of losing yet another student hadn't had time to solidify.

Yasmin changed the subject. "What are we going to do with this human? Do you have any dolphin milk left?"

Julio sighed. "That's useless in this case. Amancio strangled this man. What's milk going to do for him?"

Still, he died less than twenty-four hours ago. Yasmin's mind wandered to the only natural solution. Even in the silence, she heard Julio make the same decision.

She touched his shoulder and found him trembling. "No humans were supposed to die, but if it's too much right now, then you don't have to do it."

"We're too far from the Encante. He can't be Jade. He can't be Gold."

Julio's face disappeared in the palm of his hand. The sound of his sobs broke Yasmin's heart.

"Shall I make another rogue, Yasmin? Another recruit for Valeria's starving revolution?"

He managed an ironic laugh.

With one hand, Yasmin steadily massaged his spine. This wasn't the time to overreact. Julio was exhausted and emotionally drained. His own student had unwittingly put him in a position where he was forced to decide the fate of an innocent human. Whatever choice he made, she knew he would take full responsibility for it. That's what set her Master apart from the other leaders.

When he pulled himself together, Yasmin whispered, "You could make him a disciple."

Julio sniffed. "There's no free will involved here, Yasmin. I can't do that."

"He's dead. You won't be forcing him to do anything. It's not illegal." She would know. She worked in the House of Justice.

Once again, Julio's mouth twisted into a self-deprecating grin as he brought out the small satchel where he kept his medicines.

"I never thought I'd need to use this." From the bag, he brought forth a miniature vial holding a translucent fang soaked in vinegar. It was no gator tooth.

"So, he will be Stone," Yasmin realized with a heavy heart. Julio already had a disciple from the Stone Clan. What would the clans say when they suddenly learned he had two?

Still smirking, Julio shook his head. "Not Stone." He undid the cork on the vial, poured out the liquid, and let the fang fall into his hand.

"Silver."

Once the initiation was complete, Julio instructed Yasmin to take his new disciple back to the palace, return to Sofia's house and stay put.

Yasmin hesitated. "I can bring the man to Rafael and Felipe, but I will come back for you, Master."

For the first time, Julio fixed his gaze on her. "Yasmin, I know I've been reckless, but I must see this out to the end. Toni will help me. He's my shadow, remember. It's easy to walk into his dreams. We don't need to hold onto his sister for much longer."

Yasmin pushed. "But what will happen if we give back the girl? Toni won't have a reason to protect Sofia. Those assassins may be gone, but there will be more to replace them."

"I'll send for Rafael soon. If there are more pirates lurking about, he'll keep them at bay."

His dark gaze was unwavering, and though he was tired, he would not tolerate her challenging his decisions for much longer.

Yasmin sighed. "Master, please tell me that you're not just finding ways to punish yourself."

Julio's gaze softened. "Oh yes, Yasmin. I definitely was." He looked at the human, who was no longer dead, but deep in comatose slumber. "But after what I saw today, I don't want to anymore. Despite everything, I want to . . . keep trying to rewrite history."

After a beat, Yasmin asked, "What did you see?"

"I saw Sofi show mercy on Amancio. It reminded me of Maria."

Yasmin noted that this time he didn't say our Sofia.

Julio tore his eyes away from the human and looked up at the moonless sky.

"But then I saw this other side to her that was nothing like Maria. Yasmin, today at the cathedral, Sofi danced. She played music, she swam, she sang, she laughed." He leveled his face and the look of satisfaction on it made her pause.

"Of course she did all those things. They put her under their spell. She's only human."

Julio's smile was genuine this time. "No, Yasmin. Sofia's no shadow."

Yasmin blinked. "Sofia and Maria . . . they're connected, no?"

Julio sobered. "They are. But Sofi can walk. She can cast spells too. Weak ones, yet . . . there's no mistaking the effect it has on Toni."

Yasmin's mind raced. "Then that means . . . ."

Julio finished her thoughts. "Yes. Sofi is one of us."