Chapter Eighteen

Calla was awake when the rest of the camp came to life. She lay beside the child and watched the tent flap, waiting for Perry to make his appearance. She didn't want to move. One arm was draped loosely over the child in a possessive gesture.

She hadn't thought she would find the child, much less at the market. The odds had been against it, but the Fates seemed to be smiling on her for once. Perhaps Perry would keep his word and let her go and she could wrangle the child free from the bonds of slavery.

When she could no longer stand waiting, Calla released the hold she had on the child and crawled to the tent flap. She froze as the other woman lifted her head and stared at her. Calla waved, indicating that the other woman ought to lie down, then she slipped from the tent. She got to her feet, stretched, and surveyed the camp. Dominae was deep in conversation with the sickly boy and Perry was speaking to the other man. Perry caught sight of Calla and waved. She steeled herself and headed that way.

"Did you sleep all right?" Perry asked, breaking off from the conversation between him and the other man.

"Better than I expected," said Calla. She eyed the other man thoughtfully. "Your name is Bran?" she asked.

"Brand," he corrected. "Like the ones they put on cattle and slaves."

Calla nodded, expression dark, and turned to Perry. "We're going soon?" she asked.

"Just you and Domi and Nettle and I," he said, "but aye."

"I do not want to leave the child."

"We can't take a small one with us into the marketplace, Calla," he said. "She would slow us down. You'll see her again when we're done."

Calla's eyes narrowed. "That's what they told me the last time. She's not just any child. Lari is my daughter."

"Is she the one you were seeking?" Perry asked.

"Aye," Calla said. "She and one other. I also had a son."

Perry looked thoughtful. "What would the odds be of finding both children in the marketplace?"

"Minuscule," Brand said.

"Still, we ought to try. And since none of us know what your boy looks like--" He shrugged then said, "Brand and Torrin are taking the others back to the Hidden Muse. You will have a room there as before, and you and your child are welcome to stay. Dominae and I will be headed to the Coiled Serpent after we're done at the marketplace. I'd intended to search every booth, if it came to that." He sighed. "An unpleasant task, to be sure. You might take Nettle and go to the Hidden Muse, after he's shown us where Dominae's friend is."

"And what of her friend?"

Perry shrugged. "I don't know. Perhaps she would rather wait at the Hidden Muse, as well. We would like her along with us, of course, but things do not always happen the way we'd like them to."

"You're telling one who knows," Calla said. "Take the child to the Hidden Muse and I will take her from there. Provided, of course, that you are true to your word and free us."

"I have no use for slaves," Perry said. "But plenty of use for friends. I appreciate your trust."

"Aye," Calla said. "But if I go to the Hidden Muse and my child is not there, I will hunt you down and hang your hide on my wall, Perry."