V

"Apples? Really?" Jessica stared at the display, then at Jim.

"They're good for more than cheap cider," Jim told her.

They were at the farmers' market and Jim didn't give a damn about the apples. But he would keep her talking about trivia until she was ready for the next step.

He took an apple from the display. This one was green, the skin smooth and waxy in his palm. He raised it toward his nose and breathed in the scent. "Crisp, sharp. Not much sweetness. Good with cheese." He took a different variety from the display and offered the green one to her.

Her expression dubious, she took the apple and mimicked his action. "I can't smell anything."

Jim offered her his apple and they traded. "This one's sweeter, a good one for pie."

"I hate apple pie."

"You would have hated jail more."

Jessica was very lucky. Jim stood up for her in court, but he hadn't expected it to make any difference.

He'd barely got started when Judge Kalin interrupted him. "Approach the bench, Detective. You too, counsel."

It was unorthodox but Jim obeyed, standing between the two lawyers.

"What's going on, here?" Kalin asked bluntly. "Detective, this is an open and shut. It says right here on her docket that she's on her last chance."

Jim nodded. "I'm aware, your honor. I just want to be sure you understand the circumstances here."

"She wrapped her car around a streetlight. Her blood alcohol level was so high she can't claim honest mistake. What is it you think I'm missing?"

"Judge, Ms Blake was abducted by two men who held her for weeks before she escaped.We never made an arrest. She has PTSD and she was drinking the other night because it was the anniversary of her abduction. I am not asking you to let her off Scot-free, but..."

Judge Kalin's stern look stopped him. She turned to the prosecutor. "Do you care?"

The prosecutor didn't miss a beat. "I wouldn't oppose suspended time, Judge."

"Done," she agreed. " Sit down."

Everyone returned to their seats and Judge Kalin turned to Jessica. "Stand up."

Nervously, Jessica stood.

"Do you want to say anything?" Kalin asked her.

Jim clearly heard her attorney hiss, "Shut up."

Jessica looked down. "No, Judge."

"Very well. Based on your previous record I am required to give you some time in jail. However, I really don't think that's the answer here. So, I am sentencing you to ten months, suspended for the same period. Do you understand what that means?"

Jessica nodded, but what she said was, "Um..."

"It means you're free to go, today. But if you appear in court again, for being drunk or something else, you will go to jail. If you violate your parole, you will go to jail. Got it?"

"Yes, ma'am," Jessica nodded.

"In addition I am suspending your driving license for two years and your parole is conditional on you remaining in AA or an equivalent program. If AA isn't working for you, there are other programs but you must show you are getting help. Is that understood?"

Jessica looked up at the judge. "I understand. Thank you. I'll do better."

Jim waited while Jessica reported to probation and they left the courthouse together. He wanted to ask her some questions about her abduction but he knew he couldn't hurry her into it. Instead, he offered to keep her company until she could go to an AA meeting. That was how they came to be in the market testing the merchandise on a fruit stall.

Jim selected eight sweet desert apples and paid for them.

"Really, Jim. I can't cook," Jessica protested as he handed her the bag.

"Then it's the perfect project." The phone in his pocket chimed a text alert. Jim ignored it. "Look, you need something to take your mind off things. Give it a try."

She smiled. It was a weak smile, and brief but it was there.

Jim checked his watch. "That meeting is at noon. We'll be on time if we leave now. It's just around the corner."

"Alright." She fell in beside him as they walked.

"Jessica, when you're feeling a bit stronger, I'd like to ask you some questions."

Her pace slowed. "Why? You already know everything."

"Sometimes going over it again can trigger a new memory," Jim suggested. "Or just a different perspective. I still want to get those guys, Jessica."

She nodded, once, but she said nothing more to him. Not even goodbye.