Chapter 4 - My Beloved Antagonist

Joy had completely changed my mind. I went from hating Ethan, to seeing why he was mean to me all the time. I asked my Grandma and Grandpa, and my Mom, and my babysitter, and they all said the same thing; Ethan is just mean because he likes you.

Two whole years passed, and the whole time Ethan and I were being mean to each other. We were stuck in this constant exchange of hate, and even though in the beginning it hurt my feelings, I was really starting to enjoy it. It was becoming the norm, and other people were ignoring it more and more.

It took me a long time to start recognizing that I actually liked Ethan instead of hating him, but when I did... it wasn't so great.

"Dear Diary,                                                                                                                       June 21, 2003

Todaay i has so much fun. the.... wait. well the flowers are dieing. Sort of. well. Not Really.

I saw Ethean again today. he was reelly mean again. Joy told me that he is mean just becaus he lieks me!!!!!!! i liek him two."

Now, instead of hating him, I wrote him annoymous love letters, and laughed at whatever he said. Lindsay knew about it, and eventually told him. I wrote about him in my diary, and even though I made sure to still be extremely mean, it was different.

*******************************

RING RING, RING RING

"Hello?" I was glad that Lindsay answered instead of Ethan.

"Hey Lindsay! I was wondering if you wanted to play outside."

"Yeah! I'm already in the backyard. I got a surprise for you!"

I ran outside and through the new path that connected our houses.

I was going to say "hey", but I saw that Ethan was outside with Lindsay and another guy.

"Allie! Look what my Grandma sent me." She was bouncing up and down, and I was super curious.

"What is it?"

"It's a trampoline you idiot." Grr. Ethan.. Here we go again with the venemous exchange.

"I'm not an idiot. You are." I didn't care if Ethan's friend laughed at me. Ethan was a jerk, and I was going to be mean if I wanted too.

Joy walked down the stairs just then with the sissors, and me and lindsay watched as they put the trampoline together.

"Who is Ethan's friend?"

"That's my step-brother, Brennan."

"Oh."

A step-brother? This was going to be fun.

After the trampoline was finished, we climbed up and started jumping. Ethan fell off once, and Brennan fell off twice, but me and Lindsay just got double-bounced alot. Ethan pushed me once, but Joy yelled at him. Ah. The sweet smell of a battle won. Ethan got in trouble.

****************************

After another year or two of loving the enemy, I decided that Brennan was going to be my new object of affection because he was nicer. He was never "mean", and he was extremely cute.

"Dear Diary,                                                                                                      September 26th, 2005

I changed my ming about who I like. of course I like Brennan. Sometimes I feel like whoever I like, or whoever I feel likes me is watching me play piano and play outside."

If I had known that liking Ethan would've been safer, then I would have stuck with him, but I fell for Brennan, and there was no going back.