Chapter XVII - Destiny

<>------<> Destiny <>------<>

Babysitting sick half-bloods was not my idea of a good time. But, being the responsible Archangel I was, I took the job.

While Arrow and Aeras were off training those who were well enough to be trained, I was stuck taking care of the twenty or so demigods the sickness had spread to. Armed with a face mask made especially by Calypso to keep everything but pure, clean air out, I roamed the quarantine tent with her and Frank, trying to ease the suffering of the sick as best we could. Not that there was much we could do.

I stood up from the bedside of a sniffling young boy who looked at me with pleading eyes, his body wracked  with coughs. He couldn’t have been any older than ten, yet his sunken face and discoloured skin drained any and all childish energy completely away. I placed my hands on his head, palms glowing with soft blue light, and the boy was soon asleep.

Frank appeared by my shoulder, ‘Your doing?’

I sighed, ‘I’m sorry I can’t do any more to help. Obliviousness is the best I can do.’

Frank shook his head lightly, ‘They’ll be fine soon enough. Annabeth will come back with Midnight and the cure, and they’ll all be well again.’

I couldn’t find the heart to look him in the eye. Aside from the fact I didn’t share his unwavering confidence, being stationed alone with him in charge of the sick was slowly frying my brain. The incident on the hilltop might never have happened, besides that he had no idea I was really the long since dead Hazel Levesque.

Whoa, girl, I scold myself. Take a step back to view the entire frame. She doesn’t exist anymore.

Talk about feeling like a hypocrite.

I moved away from Frank to tend to a girl - clearly a daughter of Athena - who was crying, even though she must’ve been at least fifteen. Her hysterics began to distress a few of the other campers, so I put my hands on her head and she joined the book in a soothing sleep.

My thoughts drifted to Nero - that idiot. He should’ve known better than to follow Midnight down there, and we’re sure that’s where he went. I deftly wondered if Aeras had been successful in calming down a raging Arrow before she incinerated the camp. I hoped so. Our mission was absolutely useless if there was no camp left to protect.

As the day wore on, my anger towards my brother turned to worry and fear. Did Midnight know he’d been followed? Nero would surely die without protection. He was too sick.

Another, more assured part of me disagreed. Nero was sick, yes, but he wasn’t weak. If I had to choose one person to fight against this raging illness, it would be him. It wasn’t in Nero’s nature to give up, or to surrender. He could make it.

The doors to the quarantine were suddenly cast open, and Leo stood at the opening, face covered in a protective mask, face more weary than I’d ever thought they could be. He didn’t let himself sigh, instead walking straight over to Frank and myself, back straight and shoulders held in confidence.

But looking into his tired eyes, I could tell he was almost over the poised leader charade.

‘Anything new?’ Frank asked instantly. You couldn’t miss the note of hope in his voice.

Leo seemed to grow a little older, ‘Nothing. Your end?’

'Nada,’ Frank slumped. ‘Any word from Annabeth?’

Leo shook his head, ‘We can’t expect a lot of contact from Tartarus.’

‘They’ll be back soon,’ Frank didn’t sound sure of his own words.