Chapter IX - Midnight

<>------<>Midnight<>------<>

Arrow returned with a pale looking Nero, a sniffling Destiny, a frowning Annabeth and a shell shocked Leo. Suffice to say I didn’t think she was having a great time.

Aeras and I were still in the arena training the campers. My brother was surrounded by his new fans, most notably the little girl Heidi who followed him everywhere with a toothy grin. When Nero, Arrow and Destiny landed, we both turned in surprise. Reyna, Piper, Frank and Calypso jogged over

‘You were supposed to be gone a few days,’ Aeras said. ‘It’s only been a few hours.’

‘The fates weren’t all that hard to find,’ Destiny muttered, brushing away a tear before anyone could notice. It didn’t work.

‘The fates are sick,’ Nero choked out. ‘Everyone on Olympus is dying.’

‘What?’ I shouted. ‘We were only yesterday and it was just the gods!’

‘Something about your arrival has triggered sickness to spread,’ Annabeth reasoned, scowling suspiciously.

‘Before you even suggest that we’re behind it,’ Aeras warned, ‘remember that we’re protectors of the universe. We may hate the gods-some, not all, mind you-but we would never let them die.’

Annabeth wisely shut her mouth. Well what do you know; maybe her mom is the wisdom goddess after all.

Heidi bounded over, ebony hair flying, and tugged on Aeras’ cloak, ‘Mister, mister! Come help!’

Aeras smiled, ‘Hold on, Heidi. Big people are talking.’

Heidi chuckled and bounced away to practice with her knife. She was the only camper who we’d given a deckras weapon, and she was obviously pretty pleased with herself.

‘Who’s that?’ Destiny asked, a smile almost stretching across her face.

‘Heidi,’ Aeras’ face flushed a little red. ‘Hasn’t been claimed. She’s pretty eager to fight.

‘More than eager,’ I laughed. ‘You’ve got an admirer.’

My brothers face grew a bit more red and my other siblings smirked at him. Nero’s shoulder shook in silent laughter, just like he used to do. I grinned. Soon enough, Annabeth interrupted the moment.

‘We were talking about the sickness?’ she reminded us.

‘Right,’ Nero sighed.

‘Well, the fates said you would know where to go,’ Leo said awkwardly looking from Annabeth to Nero.

Nero immediately drew back, any trace of the old him vanishing completely, ‘I have no idea what they were talking about.’

Annabeth shook her head despairingly, ‘Me neither.’

I got the feeling they were both telling the truth, but I also felt like it wasn’t the whole truth. Not that they were lying, but they weren’t remembering. Or didn’t want to remember.

We all knew it was a bad idea to push Nero. The last time I did that, I spent 6 hours in a block of ice. I had learnt my lesson.

‘We have to finish training the campers,’ I said. ‘Whoever this enemy is, we need to prepare for her.’

Nero nodded. Destiny put a hand on his shoulder and steered him away. As they went, I heard them talking quietly in hushed tones.

Arrow pulled Areas and myself aside. ‘Nero and Annabeth know where to go.’