stumbling into fate

𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐀𝐒 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐄𝐃, 𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘 was outside my door when I was awake and ready for the day. I was a little surprised when she knocked because I had awoken earlier than expected, eager for my escape, and wasn't expecting her awake so soon. Yet here she was, and I was glad for it. The sooner I was out, the more time I had.

"Ready?" She asked, boredom lacing her tongue. "I've got places to be."

"Where on Earth do you have to go?" I laughed, before remembering that she might have a lot of places to be outside this place. But Sunday's were my days, like she said, which meant she stayed here. Or at least I hoped so. I wasn't sure what would happen if two of us were out and about.

She scowled, confirming my idea that she would not leave, and motioned for me to come along with her.

The rest of the trip was in silence. I attempted to memorize the turns and found I was already recalling which ways to go, which was good. The sooner I didn't need Avery's assistance, the better. Then I would be on my own, which was just fine with me in a place like this.

We finally reached the door, the empty EXIT sign a welcome sight, but before I could push it open, she stuck her hand out in front of me.

"Back by 5, okay? That's when visiting hours are over and you'll begin to be expected for dinner."

I rolled my eyes, but nodded my head in understanding, a little touched by her act of care.

"Five o'clock. Yes ma'am, I got it."

She let me pass, and finally, I was free.

I couldn't help but eyeball the cameras again, weary of the way they stared me down. I wondered how long it had been since they had been used and why they weren't working now. It seemed this was a major blind spot in the institution, one that would be fatal if more people than Avery and I knew about this place.

The day was beautiful, and I was glad for it. Beauty in the day meant more people would be out and about, soaking in the good weather, and that meant a higher chance of seeing Noah. I slightly regretted not telling him my name or really anything, for that matter, but then again, I didn't. It would only take a few clicks of his phone for my face and story to pop up.

Maybe today, if I saw him again, I would only tell him my first name. There was so many Janie's in the world that surely another one wouldn't make a difference, right? Unless he was smart enough to figure out that there was a Janie in his town where a mental institution was.

I pushed that thought away and wondered where to start, already jaded at the thought that I really didn't even know the town. The festival had already been cleared away and what was left was only a place I had driven through once, with Morgan and Milly on my way here. I remembered the street I had walked, of course, and on my decline from the hill I could vaguely make out the spot where Noah and I had officially met. I remembered the antique store and thought maybe I could look there, and that led me to wonder if there was a library nearby, too.

Such a small town, but so many places a person could be. 

After fifteen minutes, I was in the town, my heart a mix between light and heavy. It was Sunday, and I wasn't really sure where to find Noah. He could be at home with his family or out with his friends or anywhere, for that matter. I could spend the day searching for him or I could spend the day enjoying my freedom. The latter seemed a smarter decision, though not one I truly desired. My daydreams had led me to thinking I would just waltz into him, a smile lighting his face upon seeing me, but real life didn't work like that. He probably had already forgotten about me, a stranger with a protective attitude.