Faith IX | Promises Kept

PROTIP: This chapter was originally supposed to be called "Yuuen" because I was going to have that line where Taiga notices how uncanny Yuuen looks to the Yuuen described in the storybook said at a much earlier point in the battle. But I didn't realize how long it would be until I couldn't finally implement that line and now the title has changed since I felt like "Yuuen pt.3" didn't fit. Whoops...

-=-=-=-=-

And finally, she made contact.

All it took was one strike, with the combined forces of Carmen, Petrosinella, and Lunar, to finally put an end to Taiga's tyrannical sense of justice.

The team was Ko'ed basically, Makoto and Morgana fading in and out of consciousness from the extreme toll this fight took on their bodies.

Akira wanted to stay awake, but from all of the physical and mental exertion he'd put himself through, to the relief of seeing Yuuen land the finishing blow, that seemed to be all it took to finally knock him out.

Yuuen made sure the blow wasn't enough to kill him, but just enough to stop this fight.

Somewhat anti-climactic, but I didn't matter to Yuuen.

Settling this once and for all was the top priority.

"It's over." She took a step forward, placing her sword right in front of Taiga's defeated expression.

Yuuen was feeling her power draining, but she had to finish this.

He looked up, truly noticing the girl's new appearance.

She bore an unsympathetic expression, wielding a giant sword along with the knight's armor and broken tiara on her head.

If that wasn't enough, Lunar's dragonlike figure wrapped around the girl, staring him down menacingly as he couldn't help but laugh at the irony.

"You truly..." He smiled, his eyes softening, "Are Yuuen..."

"I never could have imagined that name would fit you so well..." He trailed off, chuckling a bit. Although, he couldn't tell if he was laughing at the irony of his situation, or his own self-pity.

"Dad..." Yuuen's glare softened.

"I know..." He looked down clenching his fists. "What I did was unforgivable, not only that, but I neglected to be a true father to you, especially in your time of suffering."

"Your mother's death hurt you too, didn't it?" He said as Yuuen's face fell, her tough exterior cracking.

"I'm sorry. I was so preoccupied with my own problems about her death, I never even realized how it would have affected you..." He sighed, glancing anywhere that wasn't Yuuen's face.

"You had to go through that all alone. I'm so sorry." He finished, his shoulders dropping.

Yuuen didn't spare another word before engulfing her father in a hug.

It didn't matter if he was distorted, or if this was just a shadow, a cognitive form of his underlying personality.

"I'm... so sorry! It's all my fault this happened!" Yuuen cried, embracing her father tightly.

"W-What are you talking about?" He exclaimed in shock, not prepared for her sudden display of affection.

"I'm the reason Mom died! And I was too much of a coward to stop you from developing a shadow!" Yuuen cried, her bottled up feelings of guilt and sadness spilling out like a waterfall.

"Yuuen..." He paused, shocked at the girl's revelation, "No one's blaming you for any of this... you saved me." He stated lifting the girl of his so he could look face to face with the crying girl.