Chapter 4. Out of hand

Edward didn't go far into the forest, he wanted everything to be as easy as possible for Emma, he was so obsessed with her safety, to the extent that I felt he would make her hunt a rabbit, and that he would probably kill it first before letting her take an attempt on it. He spent the first few hours of our day screening the area for any possible risks, until he finally settled for a place to camp, a snowy meadow down by the hill.

He was cautious, more skeptical than hopeful when he set up for Emma's first lesson. He made her stand before the wind and asked her to close her eyes,

"Breath in deep Emma, and tell me what you smell," he whispered into her ears trying not to break her concentration. "I can smell you!" she immediately answered turning her head toward him; I rolled my eyes and huffed. I knew she was going to milk it, I just didn't know she would start that early. "No, Emma smell further into the wind, concentrate, but don't force yourself," Edward instructed in a gentle voice resting his hands on her shoulders giving her security and support. "I can't smell anything except the coldness of the wind and lightly I can smell Bella, but that's all. I really can't

Edward, why don't you believe me!?" she said in a broken voice immediately discouraged and ready to quit.

"I believe you, but we are here to help you improve that. You just need to focus," Edward confirmed in a calm voice, pleading for her to try again. With her eyes closed, he bolted into the tress like thunder and returned with a rabbit in his hands. He held it straight to her nose, and gestured me to keep quiet. An undeliberate smirk broke on my face, for at least I was not wrong about the rabbit.

"I smell it Edward, I smell it, I really do, it's a rabbit right ... a rabbit?!" she cried excitedly, and her frustrated face lightened with happiness.

Before she opened her eyes, Edward had disposed of the animal; she threw herself in his arms and screamed in celebration. "Let's do it again," Edward demanded, trying to make use of his fake invigoration, he turned her gently into the wind again, and we all waited, but with no results. He thought his impulsive idea would give her the required nudge to boost her senses, but his plan did not pay off.

"Let's try something else," he suggested, attempting to break the desperation phase. He carried her on his back to the top of the hill, where the view is wide and extended, and asked her to determine how far she could clearly see. Though extremely simple, the outcome was also disappointing her vision was merely human.

I bitterly watched my husband desperately trying all he could to enhance her innate abilities, but with no hope. Her basic senses were not any better than any regular human, if not weaker. Edward frustration was building up because he was counting on her skills, because her strength was obviously compromised. All his attempts were doomed to failure.

# # #

Our first day was full of disappointments. Emma strength was draining, and as soon as it was dark, she curled up against

Edward's shoulder and fell deep into her regular sleep. "She is sleeping like a baby," he whispered, gently placing her head on his lap.

I still could not swallow the fact that she sleeps, ever since I became a vampire, my mind is in a state of alert that no level of caffeine could achieve. To me she was trying too hard to cling to her human side, that she deliberately oppresses her vampire desires and abilities, which probably accounts for her weakness. Either that or she is faking it all just to get my husband attention.

"I need to change my strategy, but I have no clue where to start?" he sighed in frustration interrupting my chain of thoughts.

"Do you really believe her?! You believe she actually can't do all these things? There is no doubt in your heart at all that she may be ... faking it."