Chapter 10. New Start

Nessie hated putting Emma in a coffin I hated it too. So as soon as we boarded our private plane I gently took her back into my arms. It was not an obligation, it was not for Nessie, it was for me. I needed to keep her close; I needed to come to terms with my feelings about all that happened. I could not accept her death, I kept staring at her cold stoned face, this can't be it. she just can't come into my life again to die, not like this. All our memories together flashed through my head, torturing me. Ironically, this is probably the longest time we had together, but she is not even here to feel it.

The flight home was long, but wasn't enough, my brain was in a chaotic state. Pain, guilt, frustration, and anger were only a few of the overwhelming feelings I was struggling with. The idea of her sacrificing herself for me, for the sake of my love, my family, without hesitation and without ever knowing what she means to me, how incomplete she leaves me. How I regret not showing her just how much I love her. I was oblivious to all around me, to Nessie's stares, to Bella chiding eyes or to the wonder of the rest of my family. The gap Emma's death left in my chest was eating me alive and making everything else meaningless. I had no desire or strength to care about anything beyond the few moments I had left with her.

I don't know if it was the deep thoughts that sent me into a trance, or the long time I stared at Emma's face, or may be even my desperation, but I felt her skin get a bit warmer and softer under the palms of my hands, I even thought I felt her arm twitch. I wanted to scream, but I kept it all to myself, there was no reason for creating a buzz about this, there was nothing worse than creating a wave of false hope. If this is all just in my head, then I would rather be disappointed alone.

By the time we reached the house, I was really feeling a notable change in Emma's body. Is something really happening? Or is her loss has officially drove me insane?

I rushed to my room and gently placed her in bed and closed the door behind. Locking away all distractions and focusing only on her for once. I watched her carefully for hours, twitching and jerking as if she was struggling to break her way out of her now not so hard stone body. When her eyes finally opened, I was in utter shock,

"You are here," she smiled, her eyes glowing with satisfaction and relief.

I kept staring at her like a mad man in complete disbelief; I wasn't sure if this was really happening or if it was just a dream or a hallucination.

"But why are you here?! You are not supposed to be here," her smile faded as she swiftly rose to her feet, a touch of regretful sadness crossing her face.

"You lost?!! Did you all.......?!!" her voice broke, as she moved closer to me.

I couldn't move a muscle, or even whisper a word, I was speechless and astonished by her rise from the death like a graceful Phoenix.

She reached out with one hand and touched my face, I instantly held my hand firmly over hers, squeezing it, trying to confirm she was real, but even though our skin was touching, I still couldn't believe it was her. I couldn't fight the urge to hold her, wrap her tight in my arms, contain her, shielding her within my body. Doing the thing, I should have done back at the Volturi castle. And although she wasn't in any danger now, every cell in my body wanted to protect her.

"See Edward, our souls are not doomed, if you are here with me, then it must be heaven," she whispered into my ears, her arms circling my chest.

"Emma, you are not dead love, and thanks to your sacrifice, none of us is. We are all home safe,"

I triumphantly replied, holding our deep embrace, finally realizing what she was thinking.

She breathed a sigh of relief and buried her head deeper in my shoulder.