Chapter 15

Caroline's maid had cleaned and pressed the rose silk dressing gown, James noted, when he joined her at the breakfast table. She looked as cool, composed and lovely as he'd ever seen her, in the delicate gown, her hair a shining halo around her head and shoulders, her slippered feet tucked under the chair. A strong contrast to how she'd looked an hour ago, held under him, her hair frothing around her shoulders as she'd whipped her head back and forth, her ankles around his neck, pinioned on his cock, as he fucked her to a second howling release. Although their morning loving had started sleepy and sweet, it had quickly escalated into utter abandon.

Before sitting across from her, he took her hand and kissed her knuckles. She blushed and smiled.

Mrs. Singh, evidently still anticipating his imminent demise, had provided another laden table. A groaning board, James thought with amusement, remembering the name of the serving table at medieval feasts. Steak and eggs, a smoked fish and curried rice dish that Caroline informed him was called kedgeree, porridge, tiny fritters that, when broken open, revealed a sweet apple centre, a pile of toast, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. Caroline, grinning hugely, waited for his nod, and when he held up his hands in surrender, served him a little of everything. Although overwhelming, it was all, as expected, delicious. Even the funny fish and rice dish was delightful: delicately spiced and easy on his stomach. Thinking of all the dubious meals to come from the ship's galley, James ate heartily.

Caroline finished before he did, having lightly sampled every dish. She sipped from a pot of hot chocolate, stretched out her legs and pointed her toes at the fire. James wondered if her legs were stiff; he had held her ankles over his shoulders for a long time. "I will write my solicitor after breakfast, asking for an appointment this afternoon. When do you think you'll return?"

"By one," James said. "I'll also write some letters, which I would be obliged if your groom could deliver, before I leave for Wapping Wall. Tell me of the Fair Felice, so I can determine what provisions I need to order from the shipfitter."

Caroline tipped her head to the side, considering, before she said, "She's a schooner, as the Gyata was. Originally built in Baltimore. A little heavier, eleven-hundred-ton burthen. Running, she can make twelve knots. She's got good topsail and can make eight knots close-hauled. She carries the twenty-four guns I told you about, and Captain Carver usually sails her with a crew of forty."

"Too many," James said dismissively. "We sail with twenty, plus you and me, and six passengers. I expect you to pull your weight, madam, since we've established what an able seaman you are."

Her lips twitched. "I would be happy to, Captain, but I can hardly be expected to go about my duties in a gown and bonnet. If I am to crew our bonny ship, I will have to wear my breeches."

"We will discuss your attire when we discuss your duties, and that will be bent over the table in my cabin, with the assistance of my belt, you hoyden," James replied. "How is she provisioned?"

"For the forty crew, but only for a week, as I'd thought they were only going to Calais and back."

"That's still generous provisioning," James noted. But, then, my mistress is always generous. "If we're lucky with the trades, we could make Ponta Delgada in two weeks, but we would have to be lucky. We'll double the provisions to be sure."

Caroline nodded. "How much gunpowder do we take? I cannot imagine it would exceed her capacity, but I suppose the powder is quite heavy for its size."

"Fifty-five barrels, which is a fortune in powder, but nothing in weight to your fair ship—"

"Your fair ship," Caroline said quietly. "I gave her to you."

"Mmm, today we will transfer her to the Delaney-Nootka Trading Company, of which you will own fifty-one percent, so she will be your ship again." But as you belong to me and will soon wear my ring and bear my name, that is by the by, James thought. "The powder will not overweigh her, in fact, she'll be light. That's no great matter from here to the Azores, but on the North Atlantic crossing, it will become a very great matter." James sipped his own chocolate as he considered the problem. "We will need to take on crew and cargo in Ponta Delgada. Sugar and timber would be best. There's little profit in them, but we can sell them easily in the Americas, and they are no great temptation to pirates."