34

The party was to start strictly at 8:00 sharp.

Chaos ensued around the household.

All of the gang had discovered that she had built houses for all of their families within close proximity to each other, making it easier for them to hang out regularly. Their families had grown closer than ever and established bonds that were never going to break.

Kai decided to take on the Flores bloodline by throwing his first ever Flores party. Maybe this time, it would not end up in flames. He smiled wistfully at the thought of his first encounter ever with her.

"Honey, are you okay?" Mrs. Flores came from behind Kai and rubbed his back soothingly. She knew the death had been hard on him. It had been hard on everyone. "She was a great girl. She took better care of us than we did of ourselves. It's okay to miss her." Kai teared up as he brought his mom in close.

He had messed up.

"We can't change the past, alright? I need you to be strong, like she was. Go get ready, alright?" Kai nodded through his tears as he headed to his bedroom to prepare for the night.

He missed her.

★★★

It was time.

The party was at its prime as the six Flores siblings and the parents descended the stairs. Furseo and Gio were welcomed into the family with open arms. They had never felt like they belonged somewhere more.

All eight Flores were dressed in red and black, as if to commemorate a special someone. Kai felt as though it was the least he could do.

At the bottom of the stairs stood his six closest friends.

They looked stunning as they made small talk before the main event.

Kai broke off from the group to check how the workers were doing in the kitchen.

"Kai!" He turned around and found himself staring at Stella. She offered a tentative hug and he returned it. Kai did not take chances anymore knowing it could be anyone's last day.

"How are you doing?" She offered him a small smile at his silly question.

"It doesn't matter how I'm doing. How have you been?" He answered honestly, leading them into a deeper conversation. They entered the kitchen as they helped some of the workers.

Mrs. Flores had always known that Kai would find his future at one of these parties. She smiled as she saw Kai and Stella enter the kitchen.

Kai and Stella would get married.

Diego and Ziva swayed on the dancefloor, allowing the music to overtake them. It was not a time for words, but rather feelings between them. Diego had supported Ziva through these tough times and she would be forever grateful.

Raina and Brody ate as they watched the scene before them. Everything seemed to have returned to normal, yet nothing was normal at the same time.

Cale and Winslet were on the dancefloor as well. The both of them appreciated a quiet lifestyle, but this was not the way they wanted it. It was not the way any of them wanted it.

As Kai finished up in the kitchen, a man approached him, a package in hand. Kai recognized this man from the day he had went to the café all that time ago. His very light brown eyes gave him away immediately.

"This is from an old friend." The man handed him the package as he eyed it suspiciously. The word URGENT stuck out to him. The stranger gave Kai one last warm smile as he left the party, the guard at the front door paying no heed to him.

He gathered the rest of the gang around him as he opened the package with shaky fingers. His eyes got watery at the sight of the large book that he had once seen her writing in. THE FINAL MISSION stuck out on the front in her elegant handwriting. Kai opened the cover page and seven black envelopes fell out.

There was one for each of them.

As Kai grabbed his, he noticed the inscription on the inner cover. It was addressed to all of them.

"You guys weren't pawns to me; you were kings and queens. I was your knight. It's okay if you don't believe me. By the point you're reading this, I'm gone."

Everyone cried.

"I didn't know how much it'd hurt you. I never knew losing family would hurt you so bad. I couldn't lose what I didn't have. Until now."

Raina collapsed into Brody's arms as the group's collective crying grew. Kai's voice grew shakier as the words continued.

"Don't you all worry about me. I came into this world alone; I'll be leaving alone."

They realized that those were her last thoughts before her death.

"The final mission has been completed. The goal? Your happiness and safety."

Kai glanced at the empty seat at table five. It was no question that that seat would remain forever empty. Nobody could replace her.

They embraced.

Mr. Tuymavsky smiled at them from the corner of the room.

Kai gripped the empty lipstick container in his pocket.