42 - truth

For the first time ever, Elise didn't want to go to work.

She walked slowly, feet carrying her across the pavement in slow, careful paces. She stalled, but only because she was early; too early. And though she might've normally savored the rare days where she was ahead of her time curve, Elise just wasn't sure she wanted to be at the café any longer than she needed to be—and she hated to admit that. It had never been the case before.

The lavender bushes looked different that day. Her fingers brushed over the tops of them gently; something she'd grown quite fond of in her commuting routine. She didn't have to multitask this time; her hair was already tied back and the waist apron she clutched in her hands was spotless, only the red stitching of the letters of her name showing against the white fabric. It was rather beautiful out too; the sun felt lovely on her skin, and she wanted so badly to enjoy it, but everything seemed different.

Perhaps it was because she could hardly remember the last time she'd done this; walked to work, that is. It had been months now, for if a certain stubborn blond had anything to say about it, she'd be in the passenger seat of his Porsche just as she usually was, but not today.

That said, he'd certainly offered. In fact, Luke pleaded with her to let him, with concerned eyes and a tight frown, just hoping she wouldn't walk out the door of her apartment alone, but she politely refused, every time. She'd told him she needed to walk, needed some time to prepare herself for whatever—and whoever—faced her beyond the chime above that door. And beyond that, the two of them knew they shouldn't push their luck, for anyone catching her leave his car with a lingering kiss wouldn't do them any favors.

Instead, Elise settled with a kiss goodbye at the door of her building. He wasn't happy about it, nor was he thrilled to see her go in the slightest, but all he could do was sigh and kiss her back, softly.

"You don't have to go," he had mumbled against her lips, something he'd been reminding her for the better part of their morning.

She'd sent him a small smile, her head shaking. "I have to work, Luke,"

He frowned, hands brushing down her sides. He hated this. "You could wait a day,"

"I can't," she shook her head again, softly, assuring him and herself of this. "It's just Cole. I'll be fine, I promise,"

She'd raised her little finger up automatically and he'd sighed, easily linking it with his own, prompting her to smile. And while he loved it, and he appreciated the gesture, it did little for the tension in his chest and the ache in his heart at what he was sending her off to.

She wasn't fragile, but she was sensitive, and he almost couldn't handle the idea of one of her best friends treating her poorly at the place she once loved, because of him. The thought was wrenching.

"Let me take you," he'd blurted, a last, desperate attempt to convince her.

She sighed. They'd been over this many, many times. "Luke,"

"Elise," he tilted his head, a lasting frown on his lips. "Just let me,"

"I'll be fine,"

"You'd be better if I drove you," he mumbled, fingers pressing lightly against her sides.

Elise bit her lip. She wished she could explain the way her heart thumped in her chest, for the way he touched her, and the soft way he spoke, was nothing new for them, but it felt so good. She'd never felt quite so cared for in her life than she did in those past few days with Luke.

She kissed him quickly. It was a peck on his lips that took him entirely by surprise, her small arms wrapping around his waist, burying her head in his chest before he could react properly. "Next time, you can. I swear," she murmured.