𝖎

Alryn did not smile as she plucked the golden-lined paper from her bedside table. Sweeping the mop of golden-brown hair from her face, she peered at the words scrawled on it:

 Sweeping the mop of golden-brown hair from her face, she peered at the words scrawled on it:

"The game is not over yet."

Frowning, she tried to decipher the meaning of the words as she gingerly picked it up, and a card floated on her bed. Huh. There was a picture of a seemingly young man on it, who Alryn thought would look perfectly handsome if not for the ruby red tears leaking out from his eyes. Red tears. As she was focusing on the strange image, she didn't notice the captioned words. Realization dawned upon Alryn as she recalled what her mother had told her. Only one person could possibly have red tears leaking from his face. Confirming her suspicions, the captioned words read: "The Prince Of Hearts".

What could this mean, along with the words? Things had just gotten a lot complicated. All sorts of possibilities embedded themselves in Alryn's head, swirling around like a massive hurricane. Trying to push her panic and overwhelming emotions down, Alryn assured herself that it had nothing to do with her, that she hadn't even gotten involved with Caraval since at that time, she had not even been born yet. Yet she knew who was. Breathing in and out, she tried to keep her heartbeat steady before the realisation struck her head like lightning. Panic rose like a wave about to crash as she realized who this message was most likely addressed to.

The only people she knew who were involved in Caraval are her parents.

But this letter was plainly placed in her room, not theirs.

What could he possibly want with me?

She froze. For a second, Alryn's first thought was to warn her parents first, though they would then be overprotective and prevent her from investigating anything. As usual. Besides, she thought, after everything in Caraval, they do deserve a good rest. I'm not going to disturb them for such a little thing.

So it was with that thought that Alryn lifted both the card and letter, and pocketed them, determined to seek out the Fate. Calming herself, she made herself think again and again, The Fallen Star was killed. The Fates aren't immortal anymore. Though she fully well knew how dangerous they could be, given their own personalities. Never trust a Fate, that thought was forever etched in her mind. Though now Alryn added another line mentally, even if they weren't immortal.

But the thing is, Alryn suddenly realized, the thought echoing its laughter in her empty head, I don't know where in the world he is.

A second later, she thought, then it means he will get to me somehow.

Sorry that this chapter was a bit short, I'll probably write more next time! (ง'̀-'́)ง