𝖎𝖎𝖎.

A/N: so i found this chapter lying in my docs, and modified it a bit then copied and pasted it here. basically, this doesn't mean i'm back to actually writing it.. i don't even know if i'm gonna continue given how i'm working on another fanfic on ao3 and honestly, i'm gonna admit, i didn't even plan much for this story yet... so in the end i might just abandon this ( but i don't feel like deleting it either )

Alryn had guessed that what she would see when she turned around would be something unexpected. Yet she still let out a gasp at the sight of him. It seemed to be the exact replica of the picture on the card, except the stranger's golden blonde hair hid his eyes from her view. Right. That cursed card, Alryn thought, feeling for it in her pocket. She wasn't sure to be relieved or annoyed that it was still there.

Despite her trembling nerves, Alryn still gathered all that she had and shot a fiery glare at the stranger. Instead of retaliating with a weapon like what she thought, he instead pulled a corner of his lips up into a smirk, and seemed to be waiting for her to react in some other way.

Damn bastard! Alryn cursed in her head. She just hated this kind of people who just stood there and hinted for her to react in some way, and absolutely detested reacting in just the way they wanted. But, glaring at him, Alryn came to the conclusion that if both of them would not give in, she would just be standing here like a fool, wasting her own time.

"Fine," she huffed, "Who the world are you and what are you even doing here?"

"Oh? My, my, how can you not know?" Feigning disappointment, he pushed back his tousled hair with a dramatic gesture, and his bloodshot eyes were the exact same silver blue ones as—

"Nice to meet you, milady. The name's Jacks." He bowed a full ninety degrees which irritated Alryn even more, drawing out a tsk from her. He carried on, "I'm sure you know what I know that you want."

Alryn had to dig her fingernails into her palms to stop her frustration and annoyance from escalating. "Hurry. Up. And say what you want." She managed to bite out. If this annoying... bitch was indeed the one she was supposed to look for... Well, Alryn didn't want to think about how worse her life would be, and the addition of problems she had. But right now she still had to face whatever this Jacks guy wanted.

Realising he was still waiting for her to react, she snorted, sizing him up, and plainly replied, "Spit everything out already."

"Oh my, oh my," he gave an exasperated sigh, and a smile found its way through his damned too-bloody face. Though the contrast only caused Jacks to look as creepy as ever.

"Didn't you want to find your... parents?" He paused, lifting his eyes dramatically to hers. But not by much, as he just towered over Alryn.

How did he know? What does he really want?

Alryn's nerves ran crazy for a moment, and her blood stilled. However she steeled her mind after a second. Think, she racked her brain for answers. Alryn would most definitely not want to let Jacks have an advantage over her. Besides, she thought, this guy is most definitely not normal. How much more does he know?

She had a sudden feeling that he knew what happened to her parents, or rather he caused them to act that way. With the millions of bits of thoughts swirling around her head like a tornado, one of them left her tongue without her even realizing, "What is the game?"

This drew a chuckle from Jacks, who answered with a mysterious twinkle in his eyes, "I thought you'd know about it already. But it's okay, I shan't spoil the fun by telling you."

As much as Alryn wanted to just saunter away from Jacks, she restrained herself and asked the question she really needed the answer to, "What about my parents? What did you do to them?"

"I didn't do anything."

Alryn just shot him a dead glare.

"Fine, fine. I really didn't do anything to them. They're worrying about something that I can't tell you directly. But I can help you to help them." Jacks ended with a wink. That narcissistic bastard, Alryn thought, but the gears in her mind were turning like cogs non-stop as she tried to wrap her head around what the whole issue was about. The way Jacks phrased it was just plain weird. Unless, Alryn thought, my parents are keeping a secret?

Also, Jacks' help must come at a cost, Alryn realised. No stranger would just waltz up to her and offer their help. The thing is, what in the world does Jacks want?

"Name your price." Alryn was careful not to let any emotion show as she waited for his reply. Though Jacks only waved a dismissive hand, and replied, "I don't need anything in return." Pausing for a moment, he noted Alryn's suspicious glare and added on, "I'm doing this voluntarily. Payback for your mother from... last time."

This just piqued Alryn's interest further as she had no idea how in the world could her mother have associated with this guy. She opened her mouth, wanting to question about the past but closed it again when she saw Jacks' warning glance. No, he is definitely not willing to talk about it too, like my mother, Alryn decided. However, she felt that it was related to the secret her parents now kept from her, and tucked the piece of information into a corner of her mind, wanting to get answers soon.

Realizing that Jacks was probably waiting for her answer, Alryn decided she had to take this risk in order to help her parents and maybe take a glimpse into their past. I don't have to trust Jacks fully now. I'll take everything he says with a pinch of salt, she thought.

Alryn then gave a slight nod to Jacks, showing that she agreed to accept his help.

She then felt a gust of wind whooshing past her face and almost let out a yelp when Jacks leaned in from behind, his breath forming puffy clouds in her ear.

"Alright... let's begin."

Just what have I got myself into—

Before Alryn could even finish the thought in her head, something icy cold pressed against her lips, causing her eyelids to shutter and her body to immediately tense up — wanting to protest and push away whatever it is, yet her back bumped into a solid brick wall.

It was at that moment that she realised it was Jacks.

Out of everything Alryn had expected, she did not think he had intended to... kiss her.

Yet again, a fragment of a memory flashed in her mind. It was then when she remembered what made Jacks so deadly — the kisses that could control one's heartbeat.