It was then that Afrah felt something tugging at the hem of her dress. She turned quickly, and smiled when she saw the little girl from earlier with the pink floral dress.

"Hello," she smiled as she reached out to take her hand. "What's your name?"

"Ruqayya," the girl replied coyly. "You're pretty."

"Thank you," Afrah's smiled widened as the girl placed her hand in hers. "I think you're very pretty too."

"You hand is soft," the girl said as she sat beside Afrah, rubbing her thumb in circles on Afrah's palm. "And you smell nice."

"I try my best to do that," she replied. "Where are your parents?"

"Father is at the farm, while mother is at Aunty Hauwa's place," the girl said, still rubbing Afrah's palm.

"Do either of them know you're here?"

"No," Ruqayya shook her head. "Where are your parents?"

"Well," Afrah laughed, "my father is probably at work, in a far away land. My mother is with him, and I think she's in the kitchen right now. Or at her friend's house."

The little girl frowned, before looking up very slowly. "Do you miss your daddy?" she asked.

"A lot," Afrah replied.

"I miss my daddy too," the girl said. "Uncle Abdul is a nice daddy, but I miss my real daddy. Mama says he has travelled to a far place, and he will not come back for a long time. I want to see him so I can tell him how much I miss him."

As realization dawned on Afrah, she felt her chest tighten as she stared into the eyes of the little girl, so young and innocent. She remembered a time when she had been just like her, naive and easygoing, without a care in the world. Her childhood had been snatched so cruelly from her, and it was strange to see someone else living out their own, oblivious to the world around them.

"Maybe my daddy and your daddy are together now," Ruqayya said with a brilliant smile, her dazzling teeth hitting Afrah square in the face once again.

"Why do you say so?" she asked.

"Because you said your daddy is in a far away land," Ruqayya replied, rising to her feet. "I like you. Will you be my friend?"

"I would like that very much," Afrah smiled back at her.

"Yay!"

Across the street, a group of kids were waving to Ruqayya, beckoning her towards them.

"I'm coming," the little girl sighed, jumping off the steps. "Bye friend," she waved at Afrah before dashing across the street towards her waiting group of friends. Afrah watched them play until they ran into the next street, the smile never leaving her face. It was several minutes later before she stood up and headed back towards the town square.

"Is there any particular reason why you've been avoiding my calls?" Fahad suddenly materialized beside her. He startled her, but only for a brief second.

"Were you waiting for me?" she asked.

"In a manner of speaking," he shrugged. "Won't you answer the question?"

"I haven't been avoiding your calls," she said. "I've just been busy."

"No one is ever truly busy these days," he said.

"Well I happen to be the minority," she replied.

"You promised me dinner when you returned from Abuja."