Epilogue

*
The drive to the beach took longer than any of them had anticipated. The weather was dry, with the heat rising to a dangerous level. Twice, they had to stop to fix a punctured tyre.

"Are we there yet?"

"Just a little further," he replied, wading through the traffic. "It won't be long now."

They had left his uncle's house early that morning, with a picnic basket which they filled along the way. They had hoped to beat the traffic by leaving early, but even so they only managed to cover eighteen miles in an hour.

By the time they finally reached the beach, it was a few minutes past noon. The sun was high up in the sky, and their shadows had disappeared underneath them. There was a small crowd gathered on the sand, which surprised him as it was a weekday.

"Come," he said to her, offering his right hand while he took the basket in the other. "I know the perfect spot for us."

He led her away from the crowd, keeping his hold on her tightly. He recognized the group as students from the university, probably celebrating their graduation or something else. He smiled briefly at a few who made eye contact, but otherwise he paid no attention to them.

An old couple were sitting on their spot, he saw from a distance. Adnan frowned slightly, but his expression softened when he saw them already packing up their things.

"Abba!" Azra squealed excitedly, pointing towards the water. He looked up, and saw some people kite surfing in the distance. Others were riding jet skis not too far from them, both groups screaming with excitement.

"Can I try it later?" she asked, looking up expectantly at him.

"You're too young," he said. "Perhaps when you're older."

She frowned, turning away from him. Adnan shook his head. She would learn.

They pulled out their mat once they reached the spot, and Adnan spread it out carefully for them. Azra struggled with the basket once he was able to spread the mat properly. She set it down on the edge of the mat, so the wind wouldn't blow it over. Then she waited until Adnan sat down before she took up her place next to him.

For a while, they simply watched the waves lapping against the shore. Adnan breathed slowly, each breath heavier than the last. Azra meanwhile simply tugged at the hem of her dress.

"You know," he said, "of all the places I've been to on this planet, this is by far my favorite spot."

"Why is that?" she asked, genuinely curious.

"It's where I've found love," he said. "It was befitting that it should be here, the bay of Aphrodite. Do you know who she is?"

"The goddess of love," Azra replied. "I read about her in a book about Greek mythology."

"Indeed."

Picking a smooth pebble beside him, Adnan tossed it into the water and watched as the waves brought it back to him.

"Do you know why I brought you here?" he asked.

Azra shook her head.

"I want you to understand," he said. "The things I've done will always affect you, one way or another. Whether we intend it or not, our actions resonate into the lives of our offsprings. And I need you to know, so you won't grow up harboring a hatred for me which I deserve.

"I know what I did to you and your mother was wrong. It was an act of cowardice, and if I could go back and change it, I would do so in a heartbeat. At the time, I was much too concerned about my image than either of you. What your mother and I did was a sin, in the sight of God and men alike. Until the day I die, I will continue to seek his forgiveness, as I'm sure she would too.