Rise Up

Andra Day – Rise Up

Taylor glanced at the android who was leading her, Josh, and then at their dubious surroundings. If she didn't implicitly trust Markus and his associates, she would already be calculating in her head the probability of her imminent murder. As it were, she could make out Markus's broad shoulders just ahead, turned away as he stared out across the water.

"Thanks, Josh." She smiled at the android, who gave her a small smile back before he left the two of them on the deck of the rusted-out freighter. Then she turned back to his leader, who was leaning against the railing, still silent. "Nice digs."

"It's temporary." Markus finally glanced at her as she stepped up beside him, resting her elbows into the railing next to his. Oddly enough, it was peaceful out here. They stood in silence for a few moments, and Taylor let her eyes drift close, the soft sound of the water lapping against the hull a comforting white noise. "You aren't going to say anything?"

"Depends. Are you mad?" Taylor opened her eyes and turned to him, giving a half smile. Markus sighed, deep enough to make her smile fade.

"I'm not mad. I just don't need any complications right now. You know that." She turned her head away again, frowning. The rustle of his coat let her know that he had moved closer before his fingers touched her arm. "Sorry, Taylor, that's not what I meant."

"No, I get it." She entwined her fingers, staring down at the water. "I'm not trying to complicate things. I'm trying to help. I didn't do anything to draw attention to you guys."

"I know." Taylor turned back to realize that Markus was standing much closer than he had been before, propping his left elbow into the rail as he leaned toward her, smirking. "I actually liked it. What you did. Not everyone feels that way, though." He paused, looking away, "They want their own voice."

"That's what I want, too." She protested. Markus sighed again, turning back to her. Again, she found herself slightly unnerved and also drawn in by his mismatched eyes. He looked so human to her that she wondered if maybe he was a prototype, like Connor.

"It's not that simple. You are helping. I'm grateful for what you've done." His fingers, still resting against her forearm, squeezed gently. "I just have to convince everyone that we're allies. And that I know what I'm doing."

She smiled. "You and me both." She moved her arm and knotted their fingers together, squeezing his hand. "You're doing a great job so far, though."

He laughed, shaking his head. They stood in companionable silence for a while, hands intertwined. Taylor steeled herself for what she had to say next. "Whatever happens tomorrow, you can't kill anyone."

Markus's head snapped up, his eyes narrowing on her face. She shivered, but she couldn't avoid his gaze, not now. "Violence is all anyone ever chooses to see. Please, Markus."

"It wasn't on the agenda." He said slowly, and then he tilted his head to the side, and she was reminded distinctly of Connor. "What about you, Taylor?"

"What?" She blinked, her moment of distraction forgotten. He was scanning her face, considering.

"Why are you still working with CyberLife?"

"Would you believe I've had this conversation once today already?" When Markus just arched an eyebrow at her, she sighed. "There's a lot of reasons."

"Why do you always evade questions like that?" She faltered, releasing his hand and drawing away.

"Defense mechanism." Taylor leaned back against the railing, letting the silence stretch out. "You said you researched me when we first met. How much did you find out?"