However, all those features were not the most disturbing thing about this humanoid creature. Sprouting from its back was a pair of very large wings. They looked raw, painful, millions of bumps covering the massive objects of flight. For a moment the creature fluttered them, revealing a map of veins scattered over the red flesh.

It was nothing like Z.Z had ever seen. Even her worst nightmares could not have conjured a creature so disturbing. A deep dread enveloped all her senses. It was an utterly helpless dread; she went limp in her captives' arms, deep racking sobs choking out.

Marcus, on the other hand, had begun to thrash violently. His eyes were pure fear as he tried to get free; an attempt not so much to break lose from his captors but to get as far away from this thing as possible.

"Shit!" he screamed loudly. He kicked his legs out, scraping them against the ground, trying to stand, trying to run. The vampires held fast. "Fucking--shit!"

The thing laughed, taking a step forward, too large to enter through the ivy strung trundle. Its eyes squinted into slits which glittered and sparkled.

"Mmmm...You know who I am, don't you, Monsieur Marcus LaBelle? You remember me? I know who you are. You spent many a faithful year at my side. You were one of my best. I have yet to find someone who has even a modicum of the talent and dedication you held."

Loïc frowned deeply at Marcus, the jealousy palettable, but remained silent.

The beast who spoke to Marcus scowled. "And I must say, this sudden display of fear is quite disappointing. I remember so many good things about you, King of the Vampyra. Yet here you are, struggling, your senses rendered silly...Just like the rest."

Finally the thing stooped down, entering the courtyard. An abrupt, absolute chill filled the area as though the temperature had dropped fifteen degrees. Wave after wave of emotion assaulted their wits; fear, rage, insanity. Zoë was now fully collapsed on the ground, her vampire captor not even bothering to hold her.

"No wonder they ousted you," the monster spoke to Marcus. "You've become weak."

"Shut up!" Marcus snarled in defiance, still struggling wildly.

"You know it's true. You were even too stupid to see an easily laid trap. You led me to exactly what I wanted. What I needed."

The thing advanced on Marcus. For a moment he leaned over and outstretched a hand. It was similar to Marcus' hands yet somehow much more menacing.

Marcus kicked at its face. This creature had reflexes Zoë had never seen; it purposely waited until the last second and then moved out of harm's way. It didn't look amused.

"Hold the vermin's legs."

Two more vampires encircled, taking each of his legs. Marcus struggled madly but it made no difference. As the creature reached inside Marcus' pocket which held the necklace, Marcus' face twisted in pure rage.

Marcus literally hissed, large fangs bared. It was terrifying--he was terrifying. For as much as Zoë had been frightened of him in the library when he had lifted Loïc by the neck, it was nothing compared to the side of himself he was showing now. Zoë sobbed, shaking her head.

As the thing backed away triumphantly, smiling evilly, Marcus' face crumpled. His expression changed to pain. He spoke, voice was halting as though his tongue didn't want to form the words. The vampires around him cringed as much as he did, but they still held him tightly.

"Domine...labi...mea...aperies..."

Whatever Marcus was saying was clearly causing him physical pain. One eye had shut as he winced. "Et is...meum...ann-annuntiabit laudem...tuam-"

The creature began laughing manically, a sound devoid of any mirth. He clapped his massive hands, looking thoroughly amused.

"Oh Marcus...do you honestly think some silly words will harm me? You'll sooner kill yourself speaking them than do any sort of damage to me. Here, my darling son, creature of my lovely Nyx, let me finish for you."

The thing raised its hands to the sky above, tilting its head back. "Deus in adiutorium meum intende—O God, come to my assistance—"

As the creature spoke, blood began pouring from its mouth; its tongue was bleeding. Zoë cried out, curling into the fetal position, covering her head with one arm. Ignoring her, the creature finished the Latin prayer.

"Domine ad adiuvandum me festina—O Lord, make haste to help me!"

The creature cackled, wrapping its arms around its lithe body. Marcus himself had begun to weep quietly. The creature gargled loudly as though it was using mouthwash. Finally it spit out the blood. As soon as the black-looking liquid hit pavement, it began to sizzle and smoke.

Chuckling, the pernicious being wiped its mouth on its sleeve. Tucking the box which held the unusual pendant into an unseen pocket, the creature turned, waving a dismiss hand.

"I am done here. Do with them what you like."

Just like that, the creature vanished. There was a gust of wind, bringing with it the normal temperature.

Zoë crawled over to Marcus. She clutched at him, still sobbing. Her mind felt assaulted with horrible emotions still; she felt on the edge of insanity.

"Was that—was that—was that—"

Marcus spoke quietly. "Adramalech. Balaam. Beherit. Damballa. Emma-O. Lilith. Pwcca. Shaitan. Tchort. Tezcatilpoca." He looked directly at Zoë "Yes; that was Lucifer, the Morning Star."

Loïc grinned, licking his lips. "Am I going to have fun with you two."