5. Wait, Am I A Suspect?

The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

***

Marcus' steps were slow and little. His feet barely left the ground as he dragged himself to the principal's office. Twice in one week! What would his mother say? He'd be dead by nightfall. Marcus flinched at the thought of his mother's raising hand, or worse, the policemen's fists. Would they pound out the truth? Would they have mercy? Would they listen to his statement?

Marcus shook his head. He was innocent. William knew that. Hell! He was the one that told him to stay back in the first place. At the thought, his pace quickened. He was no longer walking to his doom, he was walking to his salvation.

Marcus passed the snoozing secretary and opened the door. He was greeted by the stern faces of William, Stevens and the back of a police officer who was looking out the window.

"Wel...Welcome Marcus," Principal William stammered. His shaky eyes fleeted from the frowning policeman to Marcus. He fiddled with some papers on his desk and lowered his eyes as he spoke. "This man here is Timothy. He's a detective working with Middlewood's Police Department. Now, can you tell him why you were here late afternoon yesterday?"

"You're the reason I was here yesterday!" Marcus snapped. "You gave me the punishment."

"What punishment?" Stevens asked, as he wiped his hand over a dark bruise on his forehead.

Was the man dumb or what? He wrote the fucking letter!

"I was washing graffiti off the wall! You saw me when I was leaving!"

"Where?" The principal chimed in.

"The girls' toilet at the end of the school block, near the parking lot sir."

"At what time did you leave school?"

"I don't know, the sun was setting, maybe five-fifty PM. You can ask Mr Stevens, he saw me leave. Right?"

Stevens grunted in response.

William sighed. "It's okay then. If the detective here doesn't have any question to ask you, you are free to go back to class."

Everyone faced the man and he shrugged.

"Did you see anything that maybe might have been related to the young girl's murder?"

"No."

The detective then nodded and motioned for Marcus to leave.

"Marcus,' William called out.

"Yes sir?"

"I am relieving you of your punishment. But don't repeat your mistake."

"Thank you sir."

Marcus shut the door and headed for his class. He looked over his shoulder at the closed door and shook his head.

"Everything would be fine Marcus. Everything is fine. Right?"

However, two things were oddly troubling him. One was that the officer wasn't paying attention to his interrogation.

The damn motherfucker didn't even write anything in that shitty notebook of his.

The second thing, and which was disturbing, was that Mr Stevens had a mild bruise on his forehead, which he was furtively trying to hide. All these things kept on playing on repeat in Marcus' mind.

Something was definitely off about this murder.