prologue

drawing helps me keep my mind off of things. things like people, and school. or maybe just people at school. most boys don't draw, but that's what i live for; drawing.

i draw what i see. it's a thing that i've been doing since i was 9. i am now 17, in high school.

i don't like drawing people though, just inanimate objects, like food and stuff. unless, the person is beautiful.

"ash, what are you drawing, now?" my only friend, calum, said to me. we're in our lunch block at the moment.

"just my banana. i love the texture of it." i smiled as i continued my drawing. but right after, my smile went away when i heard the voice of michael clifford. he's been my bully since seventh grade. he bullies me because my mom brought my lunch to me one day and saw him punching another kid in the hall and told the principal on him.

"irwin! what you drawing now, faggot, a penis?" he laughed right in my face.

"no michael, it's a banana, you fucking idiot. now go away before i punch you so hard, that you won't see the next three days of your life!" calum yelled at him.

calum was a punk, but i would never tell my only friend that. he is covered in tattoos and piercings. we became best friends when michael beat me up and calum stood up for me, just like he is now.

"shut up hood. let him stick up for himself!" michael yelled.

"alright kids, break it up! michael, go back to your table and leave ashton alone." my biology teacher, mrs. jacobs said. "you okay, ash?"

"yes mrs. jacobs, thank you. but he didn't hurt me physically, just mentally."

"alright, just talk to me anytime." she grinned while walking away.

-

after lunch, i went to my next class, which was sign language. it was a pretty easy class, to me at least. our teacher, mrs. fisher, signed the words, "page", "178", and "go to." which obviously ment to go to page 178 in our textbooks.

after turning to the page, i looked up to see the assistant principal, mrs. lane, and a blonde boy in the door frame of the classroom.

"hello guys, this is luke hemmings, and he will be joining you all." mrs. lane said.

"hello luke, take a seat over there, will you?" mrs. fisher said, while pointing to an empty seat.

just minutes before the bell rings, luke surprisingly walks up to me.

"hi, im luke." he reaches his hand out to shake mine.

"ashton" i said quietly while drawing.

"what are yo-. wait, let me try to sign it." luke said. he signed the words "drawing", "what", and "you."

"im drawing you."

"wait, what? why?"

"because i draw what i see. and what i see is beauty."

-

yes, you can take sign language as a class at some schools. im taking it rn. and before you get confused on how they sign, no, they don't sign in order of the sentence. if the sentence they have to sign is "wanna go to the movies?" they sign the words, "movies" then "go to"

but yep. coming soon. B)

-emily x