Part 4

Rohit tossed to the other side of the bed for the hundredth time in guess. Sleep was away and whenever he tried to close his eyes their passionate kiss was coming to his mind. And after the kiss the little cuddle they had on the couch, just cuddling nothing intimate beyond that. Rohit felt like he just got used to Sonakshi and her cuddle next to him within those few minutes. He felt a stab in his chest for some reason when she looked back at him and waved at the entrance of her apartment complex when he went to drop her after. The long journey from Goregaon to Malabar hills was hard for him. And now 02.00 a.m. in the morning and he has lost his ability to sleep.
He wondered what kind of a person has he turned out to be in few days. He decided for revenge, told home that he is marrying her, proposed her, the kiss and ek mehen ke baad shadi ki tareek. shaadi ke tareek mein jo bhi hoga that also he has kept decided. He will reject to marry her at the mandap. And he will tell off why he did this and give her an earful for her fakeness. That's it. The rest will automatically follow. He knew. The celebrity card she probably would have used to get off this crime she did, itself will come crashing down and she will be left with nothing. 26th September this year will be punishing her for the 26th September of four year ago. That is it. Her chapter in his life will be over.
But this. This restless feelings, the passion that was building, the sukhoon he was getting used to. What is this he thought. He had no reason to grab her and kiss her endlessly like that except for that stupid dream. The fear of loosing her came kahaan se? And then he said utter bullshit at the end of their convo, how to keep on living and not to give up. Yaar dushman bangaya ya motivational speaker bangaya mein ne. He thought.
he knew he wanted more of her. Its not a lust but a longing. He loved to talk with her, she was never boring and carried so much light with herself that it keeps his life bright, he could share every little thing with her without a hesitation, he wanted her to cuddle and share all what happened during his day. He wanted to hold her in his arms like today, touch her lips with his and feel a moment of that hesitation from her and then....stop stop... He snapped at himself. all this too could be fake like she is. Tum usko phasane ke liye gaya, aur abh tum... bure phasee,rohit sippy, bure phasee.
————————-
Two weeks passed. Sonakshi fell more for rohit with  all her heart and rohit... chalo koi faida nahi hein uske bare mein baat karke, bandha head over heels in something tha, usko laga taa hate. So let it be.
Sippy family absolutely loved sonakshi. Specially veena. She felt like sonakshi is the daughter she never got a chance to have. She loved her that much. She used to sent off tiffins to the set all the way from sippy mansion just for sonakshi.
Suman rastogi had less bitter feelings towards sippys now, except with nishi. Their chemistry was always bad and no one tried to correct it because they found it funny and as a reason to laugh off. But other than that suman liked rohit sippy more and she found a good and a genuine friend in veena.
the families got together and discussed two weeks before the wedding.And they decided to have a very private function of sangeet, mehendi and haldi prior to the wedding. Rohit and sonakshi were too busy with their schedules and they had no time to come join for the discussions but the two had dropped by each other at sonakshi's green room or rohit's cabin at nights after the schdeules were over or in the mornings before their schedules start.
It was to be rohit's clinic day so he had planned to get some good sleep on the night before and wake up early to go for work but he got a call from simmi about a sudden patient admission. so he had to travel all the way back to hospital at midnight. The patient needed observation so he chose to stay in and continue with the clinic later without going back home. He sat on his seat and closed his eyes. He knew sonakshi is asleep because she had a morning shoot next day.
He got lost in the past two week memories. How they were with each other together. How he got to know more about her. The dinner dates made him understand what else she liked than paneer makhani.How much she had to resist drinking her favourite starbucks choco chip frap thanks to her diet. A day they spent in his cabin chatting about patients he got to know Sonakshi's allergy for penicillin. She remembered all his regular clinic patients' names and now without an explanation sonakshi knew what an atrial fibrillation and mitral regurgitation was. They were so used to each other and rohit didn't find it difficult to be with her. He unknowingly lead his normal life with her, just hiding the revenge at a corner of his mind. And after he hid it, he totally forgot it.
"Hi"
He opened his eyes and got shocked seeing sonakshi infront of his eyes.
"Hey... tum yahaan"
"Haa so can't i come see you... "
"I was just remembering you.."
"Tumne mujhe miss kiya. Toh lo. Mein aagaya..." she said coming near him.
He dragged her to his lap. She sat down cupping his head. He rested his face on her chest and closed his eyes.
"Sleepy?"
"Haa jaanu. I had to wake up and come back here... weise kese pata chala ki mein yahaan hoon...."
"Don't even call and tell me that you had to come here... i should have come earlier.... i was planning to come drop by early morning before your clinic anyways.no you are the great rohit sippy who says nothing to anyone..."
"Ok ok so. Rant over. Tell me kese pata chala..."
"I told ravi earlier to call me when he leaves with you to the clinic so that i can leave home too. He called me when you woke him up for the emergency...."
"Ullu kahin ka... fire karna chahiye usse. Tumari neend bhi kharab kardi."
"Fire karna chahiye? Ravi bhaiyya achchi insaan hein tumare tara pagla nahi hein." She chuckled against his hair.
"Oh please ok..mein jeisa bhanda tume kabhi nahin milenge..."
"Yeah yeah you are my one in a one billion one million" she said her usual phrase caressing his head.
"Rohit...aren't you hungry? You were up all night. Didn't you at least drink something..."
"Haa bhook toh hein...." he said opening his eyes a bit and looking up at her. She looked down at him pinching his cheek.
"Kuch peelo phir. Mein coffee lekar aayi... i was gonna bring breakfast but sudden notice so no time.."
"Man karta hein to eat you up..." he said looking at her in his arms and all cuddled up to him.
"Easy mera sippy easy..." She chuckled.He pressed the remote and locked his cabin.
"Come...." he got her up and stood up and walked to the couch.
"Aaj chod raha hoon. Shaadi ke baad to..." he stopped mid ways. Shaadi ke baad kya. What shaadi. The one that's not going to happen. And after all that happens, sonakshi will never be in his life anyway. And a sudden hollow feeling with so much of emptyness and doom engulfed him. Unconsciously he sat of the couch with and he had no idea she too sat with him.she smiled to herself looking at his lost form. Is doctor surgeon imagining gutter stuff. But he looks so lost. Her smile changed too.
"Rohit..."
He snapped to the right world with her words. There when he saw her he felt a relief. But yet some unknown pain, a terrible pain gushed over him.
"Mein so jaau?" He asked in a very helpless way. She nodded.
He kept his head on her lap and sent one arm around her waist and closed his eyes. In a minute or more he found his sukhoon ki place and fell asleep. Sonakshi kept caressing his hair till she too fell asleep.
———————————-
The moments, beautifully passed. Their sangeet and mehendi was done. Mehendi ki rasam poore hote wakt she clicked a picture of his name written in her palms and sent him. He was bored in the room and was just waiting all thanks to Sippy rules by daadi, Rohit flipped his phone here and there just when the message arrived. He smiled alone seeing that image. His name in her hands, that was something. He felt belonged. He felt important.
Just When he Sent a reply,that is when he got a call.
"Badaayi ho sippy ji. Suna tha dushman ke saat shadi karne jaa raha hoon aap..." this is the same person who sent him the cctv footage calling him. How did he get to know all this.
"So this is how you are taking revenge. Kya karne jaa raha hoon doctor? Are you not going to go the mandap? Or shadi karke you take all the fun from her and the leave her in the mid? Weise second option achcha hi hoga, un naachniyo ke anjaam yahi hona chahiye.... bloody characterless aurat..."
"Tum jo bhi hoon mujhe koi farak nahi padta... sonakshi se  badla lungi ya nahi i will decide it. I will marry her or not if i want.But whoever the f**k you are, Shut your f**king mouth,uske baare mein iss tarha baat karne ki himmat mat lo. Jaan se maar da lunga tume. Samje!!! Dafaa ho jaao." Rohit roared with so much anger. His blood boiled hearing all this rubbish about her.
"Arey arey. Aapko bohot gussa aaye. Kyun doctor? Kahi pyaar toh nahi hua hein usse?"
"kya chahiye tume....kaun ho tum....."
"Mujhe jo bhi chahiye, i am sure you will do it all by yourself doctor....aap aaram se aapka kaam ki jiye.... okaay"
The line disconnected. This man whoever now knows what is in his mind. Akhir kaun hein ye. He wondered. He was so angry remembering his cheap words about her and he fisted his fingers and wacked his hand against the wall.
————————————
25th september arrived. The haldi function started in the evening. The sippys sent their haldi to the bahu and pulkit was supposed to bring haldi to sippy mansion. The two houses at the two ends of Mumbai were so busy and the wedding reception was to take place at the Grand hyatt.
Sonakshi was elated. All the people of her family and her closest crew members and cast and of course nethra ji was with her complimenting her and pulling her leg about rohit during haldi. Her heart raced fast against her ribs whenever she imagined about the life she is starting from tomorrow. With the man she loves, she will have the forever that she once thought she will never have. But life is kind. Life has been extra kind actually. And whenever she remembered rohit's words at the day they spent a late night slash morning in his cabin she blushed way too hard.
"Aaj chod raha hoon. Shaadi ke baad to..."
—————————————-
An unknown tension was building up in Rohit's mind. He planned to reject marrying her at the mandap, but something just changed his mind. The media will be invited tomorrow morning at the last moment only to cover the event, so whatever that happens there and whatever i tell her there will ruin her life and her career once its casted through the media. Some weird feeling was changing his whole mind and his spontaneous unpredictable self came to a decision finally.
Jo bhi karna hein, mein aaj raat hi karungi. Sonakshi ke ghar jaa kar, ye mein aaj hi khatam kar lungi. Yeah, yahi sahi hoga. Kal tak nahi wait kar sakta. To hell with whatever i thought. It will be today that i tell her off. Whatever the heartbreak, whatever the revenge. It will be today.
He walked to the door and opened it to find almost all the sippys and pulkit with them.
"Haldi aaya...." sippy boys started dancing around him.
"Rohit tu ab tak taiyyar nahi hua? Kaha jaa rahi thi...." veena asked.
"Mom please its an urgent work. I cannot wait.  Jaldi aaunga. Please"
"Rohit tum kahi nahi jaa sakta. Haldi hein. Kal shaadi bhi hein...." daadi objected.
"Badima please. I have to leave...."
"Rohit bakwaas bandh kar. Ye dekh pulkit bhi aachuka hein. Jaha bi jaana hein haldi ki baad chali jaana ab nahin.... ok...."
Rohan said. Everyone forced him and got him back to the room.  Pulkit stayed back as everyone returned back for preparations and the two boys sat down. Rohit looked utterly distressed and lost, pulkit noticed.
"Jeej....koi problem hein?"
"Ah no pulkit....bata tu kesa hein.... di kese hoon...."
"Kushi se pagal hein wo.... i have never seen her this happy jeej. Seriously..... i am so glad ki aap mere di ki zindagi mein aane wala hoon.... i mean she went through so much.... she deserved everything more than anyone of us.... you are very lucky to have her..."
Rohit tried to smile. Somewhere he knew he cannot digest these praises about him, he knew he is definitely not going to be so uucha in everyone's eyes from tomorrow. And why would he be? He is going to break her heart and along with it her family and his family will too be affected. This is never going to be easy. Part of his mind told.
"I am glad you chose tomorrow jeej. Chaar saal pehele di ki poori zindagi karab hui thi chhabees september ki us raat... infact ham sab ki life.... "
Rohit looked at pulkit in a slight tension.
"What happened exactly that night pulkit?" Even before he thought, the question jumped out of his mouth.
"Di ki dost ki engagement hone waali thi. Hum sab waha jaa chuke thi. Pune thi engagment. Long drive thi. Actually di was driving. Mein, pari di aur mumma jaarahi thi saat.Anyways on the way pari said she wanted to drive...."
"What???" Rohit snapped.
"Why jeej? Di neh ye sab aapse share kiya ho hein naa?"
"Oh... wo haa wo kiya toh ta lekin...."
"Anyways di saaf saaf mana kiya taa....pari was just sixteen aur license bhi nahi thi so yeah. Anyways you know how mumma is so she was telling dede usse bi drive karne this and that.... so di had to give it over to pari...she had no option. Pari is not safe and all so she was driving really fast and that is when there was this girl who was getting down from a car and crossing the road, and pari couldn't break on time....that girl got hit by our car...."
Rohit felt his breath fastening. What the hell is he hearing.
"Mumma hamesha partial hein jab things come to pari.... so she was like do not get down.but di eisi nahi thi....but di was worried that pari will get caught to police for this....so she quickly asked pari to come to the passenger seat and switched to the driving seat....thaki jo bhi outsiders ye deke, usko eise lagega ki di ne drive kar rahi thi... "
"Pulkit tum serious hoon na? I mean really....."
"Of course jeej....i mean wait...." pulkit said taking his mobile out and swiped up through the gallery.
"Pari wanted me to video her driving to upload it in instagram... see this..."
Rohit stared at the video in shock, pari driving, and the screams of sonakshi when the accident was about to happen and how they hault, all what suman rastogi orders to sonakshi, how they switch seats and how others objects sonakshi getting down from the vehicle but the way sonakshi arguing and getting down from the vehicle to save the girl, who was undoubtly raima he knew. The cctv footage clothes and moves of sonakshi matched with the clothes and moves of sonakshi in this video. Definitely someone who never sees what happened inside the vehicle will of course assume that sonakshi was the driver. He felt like he cannot swallow even. His throat felt dry.
"Di called an ambulance because mumma was adamant that she cannot let her take that girl to be taken to hospital in our car. Meanwhile mumma called a known bigshot of police and asked him to cover up the case for pari. Moreover she used di's name for all these..di was utterly against all this... she supports the truth always but mumma ne kasam kaali aur di was at a fix. Then we left to Pune.... di cried all the way while driving jeej... it was horrific..."
"Pulkit i just...."
"It doesn't end jeej. Guess what we saw in pune when we arrived, wo dost di ki uski engagement pata hein kis ki saat hui thin waha..."
"What?"
"Uss karan se....karan ke aur di ki mangni bi hochuka tha...they were already engaged. saleko pata nahi thi ye ladki di ki dost hein.... pata nahi kitni ladkiyo ki zindagi barbaad karta ta wo haraamzaade ne... jab di neh ye sab sabki saamne baataya, karan ne di par assault ki... that scar is yet there di ki kaan ki neeche..."
Rohit cannot just believe what was happening. He couldn't believe what kind of a mistake he was going to do.
"Di was down for so many days. Months i guess. She was wronged. She was forced by mumma. She couldn't support the truth she wanted.... she was cheated all on that night. I am glad you chose it to start the life of her over again... seriously.... "
Pulkit went on.
Rohit got up, completely dumbfounded. What what what was i going to do? I was going to hurt the person i love the most at her most vulnerable position in life. Love? I love sonakshi? Yes i do. Aakhir that's what i was running away from all this while. That peace, that comfort, that assurance, that touch, that warmth i felt from her was nothing but love. A love that i have not done even to raima or even felt back from raima. sonakshi rastogi was different and she is the woman i love. Yes  i will marry her tomorrow but no, not with the lie in my heart. I cannot and i shall not hide my thoughts and start this relationship with a lie.
There is no time. I have to confess sonakshi.i have to tell her what i was going to do. How dumb i was. And how much i love her and how much i yet need to be with her for my whole lifetime.
Rohit ran across the room and accidently  hit the table on which the haldi was kept, spilling it all over and over his body too. He had no time to stop to turn back and there pulkit stood so confused and rohit asked him to join in so that he can drop him home and the family could not stop him from leaving either.
————————————————-
From Malabar hills to goregaon there was a huge traffic and rohit was impatient. He tried calling multiple times to sonakshi in dismay and dropped messages but she must be probably busy to answer the calls. Pulkit who was accompanying him was troubled with rohit's restlessness. He was so confused.
It was almost midnight, when in the middle of a huge rain and traffic they reached goregaon. Rohit ran up the stairs not waiting a bit.
"Sonakshi kahan hein aunty???"
He didn't know what he was doing. He panted hard and all at the place were confused. They said she is in her room and he stormed there. He opened the door to find sonakshi standing in the middle of the room with shock filled eyes and he closed the door behind.
"Rohit...."
"Sonakshi.... mujhe tum se eka saroori baar karni hein.... please sit and listen to what i am saying...."
"I cannot believe this..."
"Filaal sab kucho suno mein bolne ja raha hoon aur please uske baad....." rohit started.
"Rohit tumne ye shaadi thodne waala tha hein naa?"
"Actually sonakshi.... wait what?"  He stopped in the mid ways while even explaining. How on earth does she know this now.
"Toh yea sach mein tum hi hoon...."
She said taking the phone to her hand and swiping something. Then she selected something and played it off.
"Tum jo bhi hoon mujhe koi farak nahi padta... sonakshi se  badla lungi ya nahi i will decide it. I will marry her or not if i want."
Rohit stared at it in disbelief. It is a part of the conversation which has been nicely cut off at a point where everything will seem the other way now.
"Rohit ye tum nahi hoon.... hein naa....usne bataaya tha tum kabhi bhi aayenga aur kahoonga ki tum ye shaadi todne waala hoon... aur.... look eise hi hua.... i was screaming at him covering you up but still.... it...it....it is you.... but but....yeh tum...nahi hoon hein naa..."
"Sonakshi.... sonakshi please ek mintue mera poori baat to suno please....?" He begged.
"Tum nahi hoo naa rohit,batao....nahi hoon naa??" She said and tears were rolling down her cheeks. Rohit felt his chest being stabbed when he saw her.
"Sonakshi... bas ek baar"
"Haa yaa naa rohit?"
"Sonakshi...."
"Rohit haa.....yaa...naa...."
"Please sonakshi....pehele...."
"Haa... ya....naa.."
It rang midnight in the clock at the hall. 26th September dawned. Rohit looked down. He felt everything he had being lost. He is not going to be forgiven. He looked at her.
"Haa... wo mein hi hoon..."
There was a whole silence after that.