Lesson #11: Learn how to dance

The problem at hand was making me nauseous. Here I was, a beautiful girl finally showing me attention, but my eyes kept falling on someone else, no matter how many times I tried to stop myself. When his laugh reached my ears, my eyes traveled to him, because I wanted to see that smile. When he got up to get something to drink, my eyes followed his every move. I was struggling to focus on the original plan. 

"Hey, Stiles," Lydia said, sitting down on the couch next to me. Scott, Isaac, Boyd, and Derek were sitting on the floor playing Mario Kart. Scott was winning, but that was due to him spending all of his free time only playing video games. "You playing winners?" she wondered, teasingly. 

"I think Isaac's losing," I laughed, glancing at her to see her pretty smile. It didn't have the same effect on me as Derek's, but the more I got to know her, it would. I was sure of it. "Scott and Derek would kick my ass for sure, but I might be able to beat Boyd."

The boys were too busy fighting it out for first place to hear me teasing them. Lydia chuckled, shaking her head as she watched them scream and yell at each other. When she turned back to me, her voice was lower, so that they definitely couldn't hear her. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" she wondered, gesturing to the kitchen. My heart immediately started racing. Why did she want to talk to me alone? And what about Derek telling me to play hard to get? Should I go with her? "It's nothing bad," she assured me, as if she could sense how uneasy I felt. I probably showed it on my face. I wasn't good at masking my emotions. 

"Alright," I agreed, letting her take my hand to lead me into the kitchen. Derek's eyes caught mine as she led me away, but I couldn't read his expression. I was sure he'd kick me about it later, because I wasn't really playing hard to get. If Lydia wanted to be alone with me, I wasn't going to object. No matter how confused I was about my feelings. 

Once we were alone, she hoisted herself up on the kitchen counter, just sitting there quietly for a long time. I put my hands in my pockets, unsure of what to do. Was I supposed to start the conversation? I had no idea how to talk to girls, especially pretty ones who usually wanted nothing to do with me. "Can I ask you something?" she started, already making my heart race again. What was she going to ask me? My palms were sweating inside my pockets, I was so nervous. 

"Yeah, sure," I replied, swallowing the lump in my throat. Suddenly, I wished Derek was there to tell me what to say. Or maybe to change the conversation around, so I wasn't making a fool of myself. "What's up?"

She hesitated, a small smirk playing around the corners of her mouth. "I don't want to assume anything, or make you uncomfortable. . . but I've noticed that Derek has been acting strange lately. And I've noticed how much you've changed. The new clothes, joining the lacrosse team, that weird head nod thing you and Derek have going on. I was just wondering. . . are you two close?" It seemed to be a harmless question. Or you would think, by the way she was innocently smiling at me, as if she wasn't asking if Derek and I were basically dating. 

I was at a loss for words. I had no idea how to even reply to that question. I wanted to jump off a bridge or something. Go into hiding for the rest of my life. Anything other than answer that question. Lucky for me, the door flung open and saved me from having to answer. But unfortunately, that was where my luck stopped, because it was Derek who walked into the kitchen. "What are you two kids up to?" he asked, innocently. His shoulder brushed past mine as he moved towards the fridge. It was a small kitchen, so I didn't mention it.