11

"Fortunes are made
But lost just as fast."

GENEVIEVE WOKE UP FEELING HELD

GENEVIEVE WOKE UP FEELING HELD. She could feel that there was an arm wrapped around her waist and another holding her head up. A hand was gently pressing two fingers onto her neck. Checking her pulse.

Her eyes fluttered open to meet two familiar blue ones. But something was wrong. It was dark outside.

How long had she been out?

"Schofield?" Her voice was croaky. "...William?"

"You're okay!" He seemed almost surprised. "Thank god. Genevieve. You're okay."

He hugged her close to his chest, a sigh of relief shaking his body.

"A little concussion won't kill me." She replied. "Are you okay? Why is it dark?"

She tried to sit up but her head was spinning. She winced in pain and his grip around her waist tightened, bringing her back down.

"We got knocked out for a bit." He said, worry lacing his voice. "I woke up and I saw you laying there and I- I thought maybe you were... that you might of..."

"You can't get rid of me that easy." She said. "Spies never die, sweetheart. Spies are forever. At least, that's what they told me during training. I think it's a metaphor. Let me stand."

He reluctantly let go and she stood, eyes squeezed shut to stop the dizziness she felt. Definitely a concussion. But there was no time to stop. She steadied herself and opened her eyes.

She saw her rifle lying on the ground not too far away from her. The top was bent. It was broken. Perfect.

She looked around for her pistol and saw it sitting on the stairs, still intact. At least she still had something.

As she reattached it to her holster, the feeling of liquid running down her face was suddenly very apparent. Reaching up, she felt a cut above her right eyebrow. She wiped the blood away and held a hand out to Schofield.

"Almost over." She said as he took her hand. "This was just a little detour."

She pulled him up as light suddenly filled the room. Outside, a flare streaked across the sky and they both turned to the window. As the light swung across the room, Genevieve could clearly see the German soldier lying dead, slumped against the wall as well as the back of Schofield's head. It was covered in blood.

"Your head." She gasped. "You need to-"

"We don't have time." He said as they started descending the stairs. "I'm fine. I promise."

Another flare hissed across the black sky, light bursting from it as they exited the building. The scene before them was shocking. It had been raining and there was destruction at every turn. The flare showed the outlines of destroyed buildings ahead of them. It was terrifying. They picked their way through shifting spots of darkness, trying their very best to stay hidden.

A gunshot sounded somewhere near them. They both stood still for a second. CRACK. Another gunshot, closer this time.

"Stay in the dark." Genevieve said quickly as they began to run. "Light steps."

The flares were going in and out, often leaving them in complete darkness. But they ran anyway. Grim shadows flashed around them as they ran. There were still gunshots. The bullets buzzed around them in the darkness.

Genevieve saw a narrow alley coming up to their left. She grabbed Schofield's arm and pulled him into it. A shortcut. The gunshots sounded farther away now. At the end of the alley was a main street. Genevieve came to a stop there, Schofield bumping into her.

In the middle of the square was a giant fire, an entire building. Everything around them was engulfed in flames. It was almost blinding.

Genevieve squinted her eyes and saw something coming towards them. Her vision was slightly blurred from the concussion. As it gets closer, she can see it was a person. A soldier. But she couldn't tell if they were a German or British soldier.

Suddenly the man lifted his gun and started to run, heading straight towards them. Definitely not a British soldier.

"Fuck!" Genevieve exclaimed as she took her pistol out of the holster. "Go go go!"

She shot at the soldier twice, hitting him once in the leg. he screamed out in pain and they heard more voices coming towards them. They take off running once again, heading through the colonnade. The soldier raised his rifle and fired after them. They turned a corner, almost falling over.

Schofield grabbed her arm and yanked her back so they were both against a wall of a building. He looks down and kicked something. Genevieve looked down. A cellar window. With the kick, it was open.

"Get in." He said hastily.

Genevieve didn't have to be told twice. She dropped to the ground and practically dove into the window. Schofield was right behind her. He dropped down next to her and closed the window. They stayed silent as they heard footsteps run past the window.

Genevieve looked around. The cellar was damp, dark, and dirty. A few wooden crates were stacked in the corner of the room. On the other side was a doorway with fabric hanging over it. There was a hint of light coming from it. A way out?

She tapped Schofield, careful not to make any noise. She pointed to the fabric and nodded. Guns raised, they moved towards it. Schofield went first, pushing the fabric aside with his rifle.

In the center of the room was a furnace. A small makeshift fire has been lit in it. Around the fire a couple of blankets, some firewood, empty cans, and crusts of stale bread. It was lived in.

Someone had certainly been there recently. Genevieve swallowed hard as she thought about when they would be back.

The footsteps finally faded away and there was silence. The only sound was both of their heavy breathing. Schofield lowered his gun and turned to look at her.

They both stared at each other for a moment. Blue eyes gazing at brown. Genevieve broke the space between them and embraced Schofield tightly. He returned the hug instantly, his face buried in her hair. He rubbed her back soothingly.

It was a hug of thanks, of encouragement, of acknowledgment, of fear. 

This had to be the worst mission Genevieve had ever been on. She was so glad that she wasn't alone. She felt safe. Which was saying something considering their situation.

Schofield broke the hug but still held her close so he could see her face. It was then Genevieve realized how dirty and bloody they both were. He reached up and moved a strand of hair behind her ear gently.

"Are you alright?" He whispered.

"Don't worry about me." She shook her head.

"But I do." His eyes dropped farther down her face. He wasn't looking at her eyes anymore. "Listen, if we don't... If I don't-"

"We will." She assured him. "I promise you we'll make it. I haven't had a failed mission yet. I'll be damned if I don't finish this one."

He was suddenly leaning towards her. Why in the world was he leaning towards her?

She didn't get a chance to find out. Out of the corner of her eye, Genevieve saw something moving in the shadows. Instantly, she pushed Schofield away and pointed her pistol.

Standing there, terrified, was a girl.