~twenty two~

─────── • ❥ • ───────

"Renjun, Sweetie...." the teen's mother sighed while unpacking her suitcase from the trip she had just been on three days ago, "Are you listening to yourself?"

"Of course I am, Mum. And I've thought through all the pros and cons, considered issues that may arise and requested that Jaemin seeks consent from his own parents. I genuinely think that the three of us living together is a good idea."

"Renjun, this isn't like you," his father walked into the room, holding a pile of washing in his arms. "You like being on your own. Something about privacy?"

"Yeah, I know I said that.....but now I can't sleep at night knowing Jeno is basically living in a shelter. No heating, no electricity, no warm water....and I have to feed him most days since he can't buy food. Doesn't that seem wildly unfair to you?"

"Then he should be taken off his mother or father or whoever the hell is looking after him. He needs to get out of there," the older woman stopped what she was doing to properly face her son.

"That's the thing, Mum. He doesn't have a family. Jeno didn't tell anyone when his mother died....he's too stubborn to."

Loud footsteps could be heard running down the hall, stopping outside the door. Renjun's brother Sicheng pushed inside, expression frustrated.

"Where did all the food go? I swear we had stuff in the cupboard yesterday-"

"We had to pack some of it," their father explained, "Sorry about that. We'll stock up tomorrow before we head out the next day."

"Another point to consider!" Renjun whined, "I'm always home alone! Sicheng is always at sleepovers and stuff, and you two are travelling almost every week. If I can stay with my friends, I'll have decent support."

"Or you'll get lazy," his mother argued. "You're at the top of your class, aren't you? Won't having two teenage boys living with you distract you?"

"Not a problem. I won't let them...."

"He should totally go," Sicheng laughed, "Then I can have his room."

"No you can't!" The younger growled, "Piss off!"

Both playfully tackled each other, never really fighting like normal siblings. Having looked after one another for so long, a certain understanding had developed.

"Renjun, I just don't know about this. It's not like it's an issue financially....I just don't want you somewhere we can't see you, y'know? Like if we came home suddenly, we'd want to see you," the older woman complained.

"Or," her husband continued, "If one of you get hurt or find yourselves in trouble, you won't be together. It's just really risky."

Sicheng shrugged, "He's my brother, guys. I literally have his number, and I'd call him everyday to make sure he's fine. It's not like you do a whole heap of parenting on a daily basis anyway. He's old enough and mature enough to look after himself."

"Thanks dude," Renjun nodded towards the older. Sicheng waved it off like he would've  done it in his sleep.

"Ugh, I'd really rather sleep on it....." their mum frowned.

"But I'm going to Jaemin's house for a sleepover tomorrow and you're leaving the next day! When will we even have time to talk about it?"

"Just let him go...." the older sibling whispered mysteriously, slowly edging out of the room and returning to his own bedroom.

Both their mother and father glanced at each other wearily, running out of reasons to argue with their son.

His dad, however, had one more query, "You mentioned that Jaemin can't speak.....aren't you in over your head with two boys who clearly need adult supervision? You're aware that you're assuming the role of a parent here?"

"I can do it....I promise I can. I really want to help them, and Jaemin will speak eventually. It's not impossible. Also, Jeno's getting way better lately....he's not as closed off as he used to be."

Renjun was beyond glad that he hadn't yet told his parents that he liked boys. That would've been another reason for them to stop him. It wasn't that they wouldn't accept it, since they weren't homophobic. But they definitely saw a weak eighteen year old who'd most likely need protection.

In other words, Sicheng and his parents would view Jeno and Jaemin as lions moving in on him. It was best that they didn't know he was interested in them.

"Okay," they murmured together, shaking their heads and admitting defeat. "You can stay with them if Jaemin's parents agree."

"Yes!" Renjun punched the air enthusiastically. "Thank you so much."

"Yeah, yeah, just thank your brother for having your back. Also, Mark will be here in about half an hour. I'd clean your room if I were you."

"Crap, I forgot. See you soon."

Running down the hall and into his bedroom, Renjun shut the door behind him quickly and beamed, sliding down it and landing in sitting position.

"Success," he murmured to himself, wanting to tell Jaemin as soon as possible, but also wanting to wait and see his reaction tomorrow morning. He simply hoped the other had equally good news.

With consent from both sides, all that would remain would be convincing Jeno to stay with them. The reason for the sleepover was to corner him and not leave until a 'yes' was heard.

With the overwhelming excitement and happy emotions he was experiencing, twenty minutes went by in what felt like five, and the doorbell rang signalling their early guest.

"I'll get it!" Renjun called, exiting his now tidied room, which was usually in a clean state anyway, and danced down the halls in an extremely good mood.

He opened the door for his blonde friend, signing, "Hey," as he stepped back and let him in.

"I just got here and I can already tell you have something to tell me," Mark signed back, laughing at his friend's optimistic behaviour.

"Damn right I do."

─────── • ❥ • ───────