~twenty one~

─────── • ❥ • ───────

Cautiously wandering into the kitchen on Thursday morning before breakfast, Jaemin slid into one of the four stools that lined the island.

The kitchen, like most of the large house, was a cream room. The vanilla tiles, pale walls and white marble countertops complemented each other and the other various rooms around with a similar running theme.

Jaemin's family were doing quite well in recent times with the promotion his father had received and the mere fact that his mother was a doctor. This all helped when moving out of their old house full of sour memories all those years ago.

His mother, who was preparing some food, turned to him and smiled fondly. "Hi Darling, what can I do for you?"

Jaemin thought about his question for a moment, hoping that this wasn't a bad time to ask. He signed, since both parents had learned for him, "Do you trust me?"

The older woman frowned, leaning back against the counter and giving him her full attention. "Of course I do. I know you're not immature or reckless."

"Then would you worry too much if I were to.....stay somewhere else?"

Shocked, the brunette covered her mouth before fanning her face, "Are you unhappy here? H-have we done something wrong? Is someone else hurting you? Like my sister?"

"No Mum, it's not like that. My friend Jeno from school....he means the world to me. But he's really really struggling." He paused, imaging the older's face and chewing at his lip so not to smile like an idiot. "His home is in shambles and he can't even afford food."

His mother gasped, looking at her son like he had grown another head. "How? How can a boy your age be suffering that much?"

"His mother died and he still hasn't told anyone. Mum, he's all alone, and I want to live with him and look after him."

"He's not a doll, Jaemin. This boy is a human life, and those aren't as easy to protect as you seem to think."

"I know."

"Honestly Honey, I don't know how to help. You know I always try to say 'yes' to you, but this....this is dangerous soil you're walking on."

Jaemin whined, pouting like a child and wondering how to push the case further. The words 'give up' were never wired into his head, ever since the incident when he was little, he tried to fight with all he had.

"What if we had someone with us? I know someone who feels the same way. These two are who I'm introducing you to tomorrow, remember?"

Suddenly, the brunette tilted her head, catching onto his little plan. "Jeno and Renjun, right?"

"Yes..."

"So those two are important enough to you, that you'd want to move out and stay with them?"

"Correct."

She sighed, leaning her head back and trying to think through all the factors logically. This wasn't just a case of 'oh? you like them, then go on and live with them', there was so much more to it. The dominant factor standing was that Jeno had no legal guardian.

"That child needs a parent or some sort of authoritative figure," she finally murmured. "Without consent, you can't really do anything."

"Yes we can. If we put together an apartment or something, then Renjun, Jeno and I can move in, and he won't be so sick and alone anymore."

"Did you just skip over the fact that he has no adult guiding him? I'm your mum, Renjun has a mother, but Jeno has nothing by the sounds of it. How is he going to go to college? Or get a driver's licence? Or a proper job without either? These are all things that parents or guardians help with."

"Can you step in then? Until he's nineteen?"

"Jaemin-"

"Please! I'm begging you here.....I've never felt so strongly about someone before in my life. I swear."

With her walls slowly crumbling and reasons to fight him running out, his mother gradually started to crack. The look of desperation on her son's face was enough to tug at her heart.

"I-I can try to help-"

"Yes!"

"But," she interrupted his excited hand motions, "You have to pay me back in return for setting this all up. Understand?"

"How? I can't get a job..."

"I want you to try talking again. Now, none of that 'cough cough, can't do it' crap, you hear? I mean seriously putting in an effort to speak again. The doctor said it isn't impossible, and I swear I will hear your voice again. Got it?"

Jaemin grimaced, playing with his hands over the countertop, finally signing a reluctant, "I understand..."

A little more excited than before, the older woman pulled a bowl down and put some cereal into it, handing that and a plate of toast to the blonde. "Eat up. You'll need your strength if your going to be protecting that boy."

The younger nodded, placing some food into his mouth and chewing slowly. While his mother's back was turned, he weakly attempted to say 'thank you', but failed miserably.

It came out as a pathetic puff of air, though he knew without any real effort, nothing would come of nothing.

He could try though. Even though his parents wanted him speaking to them as soon as possible, Jaemin was more curious to try talking to Jeno properly. Having a conversation with him. Laughing with him at a joke he told.

In truth, laughter was the only sound he could really make other than groans or growls. None of them were useful in the working world.

But all of those were a side note in his head. If Renjun succeeded as well, then both would have permission to bring Jeno to safety.

─────── • ❥ • ───────