Season 16, Episode 9: Back In Your Head

"Build a wall of books

Between us in our bed

Repeat, repeat the words

That I know we both have said

Relax into the need

We get so comfortable

Remember when I was

So strange and likable.

I just want back in your head

I'm not unfaithful but I'll stray

When I get a little scared

When I get a little scared."

***

Miranda Bailey's office: she's at her desk, phone to her ear. She's focused; determined; ready to swing into action as soon as the person on the other end will let her get to work.

"Yes... yes. We'll be ready. Mhm. Goodbye."

She hangs up the phone and places her palms flat on her desk for just a second; her eyes close and she gives her head a brief, clearing shake. She starts to push up from her desk and move for the door when Dr. Casey Parker comes inside, a tower of folders in his hands.

"Dr. Bailey," Parker starts, "the interim chief resident needs—"

He doesn't finish his sentence because it is immediately obvious that Bailey is not listening.

"Good, Parker. I need hands today and I need someone who's not an idiot and I am not sure a lot of things, but I am at least fairly certain that you are not an idiot."

Parker straightens up as she starts to scribble notes on a pad. "Anything you need, Dr. Bailey." He's clearly anticipating scrubbing in: he's seen the board today and Bailey is busy, lap colies and two whipples and a colectomy.

"We have..." Scribble, scribble. "A visiting surgeon arriving tomorrow morning. I'm assigning you as her liaison. She will need privileges, so go ahead and get that set up, Nurse Lakshmi will tell you who to talk to. Patient files are arriving today by courier, I've authorized you to sign for them. I'll need them input into our systems for digital access."

Parker has deflated, just a centimeter, and it doesn't escape Bailey's notice. "Can you handle all that, Dr. Parker? Did I make an incorrect assumption about you and potential idiocy?"

"You did not, Dr. Bailey."

Parker straightens as Bailey advances towards him around the desk. "This is an... unusual situation, Dr. Parker. I would like nothing better for this to go smoothly, but I know this hospital and I know my people and I know this is... It's unusual, Parker, and for once I would just like things to be business as usual. Can you take care of this for me?"

"Yes, Dr. Bailey, I can."

She rips the paper from her notepad and presses it into his palm. "Do it and you can scrub in with the visiting doctor: her first surgery tomorrow is a complex adrenalectomy."

Parker straightens again. "Absolutely, Dr. Bailey. Thank you." He turns to go.

"And Parker? Page me when Dr. Stevens arrives."

***

Meredith Grey is back at Grey Sloan and it feels like the sun has come out. It's as if the trial happened to another person. She can almost forget her trash detail and the scene with Andrew and the mess with Pac North and everything else. She's home.