Chapter 23

The team had spent the past week or so working on the quantum tunnel that Tony had designed and trying to get the remaining Avengers on board with the plan

"Hey fireball pass me that part" Freya rolled her eyes at Rocket's nickname for her but leant over and picked up the part from the box and passed it to him. The two of them have worked majority of the night and early morning as the tunnel was nearly complete and Freya didn't want to waste any more time.

Tony watched Freya from afar and smiled watching as she laughed at something Rocket had said. He hasn't seen her this happy in a while and her smile was contagious as it seemed that everyone in the room was smiling every time she laughed.

Natasha stood next to Tony and smiled watching the girl "She's a lot happier than when I left"

Tony shrugged and crossed his arms "She has hope"

Natasha nudged Tony with her elbow "This will work Tony" Tony sighed and glanced at Freya who was now sat on one of the boxes and watching as Rocket finished his bit "I sure do hope so"

Natasha frowned slightly "You haven't told her yet have you?" Tony shook his head "No I don't know how's she's going to take it"

Natasha rolled her eyes "She deserves to know" Tony spun around to glare at Natasha "I'm planning on telling her soon" He turned back to Freya who turned around when she felt his eyes on her and gave a small wave "Just not right now"

Natasha went to speak but Tony cut her off "Did you get Barton?" Natasha sighed but nodded anyway "He's with Bruce now"

Freya started to space out while watching Rocket. She couldn't help it but she has been up all night finishing the tunnel and now that she was finished she was starting to feel tired.

Rocket noticed this and threw a paper ball at her face. Freya jerked back in surprise and glared at Rocket "What was that for?"

Rocket rolled his eyes and went back to work "You're flaking out on me again" Freya smiled sheepishly which Rocket only sighed at "Go and check on the big guy"

Freya complied and went to find Bruce who was in the lab sorting out the new suits. Freya leant against the doorframe and glanced at Scott trying to figure out what was wrong.

"Hey Scott is that my hat?" Scott jumped at the sound of her voice and whipped around to face her. He placed his hand on his chest as he stared at her "Why do you do that to me?"

Freya rolled her eyes and pointed to the hat on his head "That's my hat"

Scott smiled innocently "You left it lying around so I thought why not" Freya glared at him but Bruce spoke up before she could say something "Is it ready?"

Freya nodded her head "Rocket is just finishing it up now"

Bruce nodded his head and went back to work on the suit that Clint was wearing. Freya hasn't had the opportunity to meet Clint until now but she's heard stories from Natasha.

Clint nodded towards Freya "You must be the one that Nat was telling me about" Freya smiled nervously and nodded "I hope it's good things"

Clint smiled, the first smile he's had in a while "The only ones that matter"

Freya smiled in appreciation and stepped closer to have a look at the design "So when am I getting mine done?"

Rhodey, Scott and Bruce all glanced at each other trying to be discrete but Freya noticed and frowned "What was that?"

Scott laughed nervously "What was what?" Freya glared at him "I saw that look"

Rhodey sighed and turned to Bruce "We should tell her" Freya looked between them confused "Tell me what?"

"You're not going" Freya spun around at Tony's voice. Tony had followed Freya after he noticed she was making her way to the lab. He wanted to be the one to tell her.

Freya's eyes widened when she realised what he was referring to. She crossed her arms and stepped back "You have got to be kidding me"

Tony stepped into the room and looked at Freya sadly "I'm sorry kiddo"

Freya shook her head and bit her lip as her eyes watered "I was never going to go was I?"

Tony stepped closer to her but Freya stepped back slightly to create some space between them. Tony frowned at this "It was a hard decision but I can't let you go with us"

Freya stared at him in disbelief "Why?"

"Because we are going to get the Tesseract and Loki's sceptre and Hydra will be there"  Freya scoffed "So you think that if I see them I'll go after them, I'm not that stupid"

Tony hated that the idea of not letting her go after she put so much work into it but he's just protecting her.

"I'm not worried about you going after them. I'm worried about them seeing you" Tony felt tears welling up in his eyes just at the thought of it "If they see you, this older you working with us. They will try to prevent it"

Freya uncrossed her arms and gestured towards Clint "If you're that worried about Hydra seeing me then why don't I go with one of the other groups?"

Everyone shared a look again causing Freya to groan in frustration "For god's sake stop with the looks! I'm not fragile, just tell the truth!"

Bruce sighed and faced Freya "It wasn't just Tony's idea"

Freya looked at each of them in disbelief on what she was hearing "You all agreed?"

"Do none of you trust me?" It hurt Freya that they were not willing to letting her help. Tony's heart broke at her words "Of course we trust you we're just-"

Freya held her hands up to stop him "You're just trying to protect me, I know. But maybe you should realise you're not only protecting me you're making it worse" with that Freya walked out of the room.