iv. managing small smiles

Start from the beginning

"Come on," Finnick mumbles to her quietly, grabbing her arm gently and pulling her over to one of the combat stations. "I'll teach you the trident,"

Elena nods as he lets go of her, the older man picking up one of the weapons and heading into the simulation. She watches on as the enemies start to get closer to him - he allows them to get close enough so that he can hit them with the weapon without losing grip on it. As one sneaks up behind him, he quickly swings around and attacks, the holographic person disintegrating before their eyes. Elena smiles a little and claps for him which causes him to roll his eyes.

"You ready for your turn?" He asks as he hands over the weapon. She grips it tightly in her hand, the weapon feeling incredibly unfamiliar. The knife she'd used in her games was lighter and probably easier for use. "All you can do is give it a shot, Lena. If it's not your weapon, we'll find you something else,"

Elena sighs deeply and walks into the room, the glass door sliding shut after her. She snaps her head to Finnick as memories of the tube that had taken her into the arena start to flood her mind. He gives her a small yet encouraging nod and she takes a deep breath, her gaze returning to in front of her.

As the simulation starts, she is able to hit the first few enemies with ease, however when they begin running at her more she is left overwhelmed. Two of them run at her at the same time and she takes the opportunity to dodge one whilst stabbing one through the back before the other turns back to her, the trident then going through its stomach.

Finnick is still watching outside intently, taking note of her movements and how she approaches the situation and when she takes down the last one, he smiles at her. It's not perfect, if she'd been up against real people, it is very likely she may have gotten injured but it's something they can work with.

"Good job," he wraps his arm around her shoulder as she exits the small room. The trident ends back up on the rack. "I'm going to go speak to Johanna, do you want to come with?"

"I think I might go to one of the empty stations," She replies quietly and he nods his head, giving her a light squeeze before walking away from her.

She looks around to try and spot and empty station, smiling softly when she sees an empty space. The blonde walks over and stands at the table where there are hooks and lines laying across the surface. Making fishing hooks and lures is something her brother does a lot, living up to the District Four stereotype. She's never been one for it really but he's taught her a few things and doing this will just remind her of happy memories with Jace, something she needs right now.

The girl focuses intently on her lure so much that she hasn't even noticed that Katniss Everdeen has moved to stand beside her, watching how she manages to manoeuvre every aspect accurately. It takes a few moments, when she finally sees something actually move beside her, but she notices the brunette girl standing there.

"That's amazing," Katniss says to Elena as she finishes up with it. "Did Finnick teach you that?"

"My brother," Elena's voice is soft and quiet as she thinks about the boy who is back at home.

"Would you mind teaching me? I could help you with the bow," Katniss suggests and Elena looks up at her.

"I'd be hopeless with a bow but I'll be happy to teach you some of this stuff. I'm not an expert myself but I know some,"

"Thank you,"

Elena spent the next twenty minutes with the girl from District Twelve, teaching her about lures that she could use. Katniss listens intently the entire time which Elena appreciates wholeheartedly, most people usually just partially pay attention. Teaching her was not so bad but when Katniss goes to try something else, Elena heads in the opposite direction and towards the camouflage table.