Epilogue: Return Home

Astrid's POV

We laid Fili, Kili and Thorin to rest deep within the mountain. I put one of the beads in his hair and meet his mothr breifly. Before Bilbo and I slip away with Balin.

"There is to be a great feast tonight. Songs will be sung and tales will be told" Balin tells us.

"I know that's how you must honor him, but to me he was never that. He was...to me...he was" I say trailing off.

"Well, I think we'll slip quietly away. Will you tell the others we said goodbye?" Bilbo asks Balin.

"You both can tell them yourselves " he tells us. We turn to see the others there. I go and hug each of them.

"If any of you are ever passing Bag-End, uh...tea is at four. There's plenty of it, you are welcome any time" I tell them.

"Uh... Don't bother knocking" Bilbo adds and we all chuckle. We leave them and join Gandalf. We mount a pony, Bilbo behind me.

We leave Erebor, pass through Dale saying goodbye to Bard and his children. Before going with Thranduil and his elves to Mirkwood. We stay the night to let the horses rest.

Thranduil then gives us a guard and they escort us to the edge of the forest safely. We then go see Beorn and find Fly there. I was so happy to have my pony back. Radaghast arrived and had dinner with us, before returning to his home.

The next day we set off for the Misty Mountains wanting to see Rivendell before going home. This time we avoided the goblins. It took us three weeks to get there. The last couple of days I have been vomiting. So Gandalf organized an appointment with Lord Elrond as he is an amazing elf healer.

"Have you had any other symptoms Astrid?" Elrond asks me.

"A little light headed, but otherwise no" I tell him honestly. He hums thoughtfully and looks at my two braids.

"I know this is a personal question, but were you and Fili ever intimate?" he asks me gently. I nod my head. "May I try something?" he asks me.

"Of course" I say nodding my head. He places a hand over my stomach and says a simple chant in Elvish. His hand glows and he smiles as the sounds of some beating fills the room. "What's that?" I ask him.

"It appears the Durin line did not end that day" he says simply smiling at me. I tear up placing a hand on my stomach. "I'll give you a moment" he adds before leaving the room.

I bury my face into the pillow crying. Soon someone places a hanf on my shoulder. I look up to see Bilbo. "What's wrong? Are you sick?" he asks me worried.

"I'm not sick, Elrond told me amazing news. But I just wish Fili was here" I tell him. "I am pregnant " I add.

"That's great, I'm so happy for you" Bilbo says and I smile gently. "Will you tell the others?" he asks me.

"I know how important my baby will be to Erebor. But I want them to grow up somewhere safe and peaceful. With no threat of attack, they will know who there father is. Just not their title until they're older" I tell him.

"If that is your wish, I shall tell no one" he assures me smiling. I smile and hug him. We stay in Rivendell a couple of days before leaving. We passed the troll cave and collect a chest of treasure.

We then continue alone to the Shire. As Gandalf left us. Bilbo has his own pony from Rivendell as I ride Fly. We arrive and dismount walking home holding the reins. To see our things being auctioned off.

"Wait that's my mother's glory box!" Bilbo exclaims.

"Hey, that's one of our dining chairs" I add.

"Uh...put that poof down! What is going on?" Bilbo demands as we reach our house in Bag-end.

"Hello miss Astrid, mister Bilbo. You both are not supposed to be here" Mr Worrywort says.

"What do you mean?" I ask him annoyed.

"On the account of you both being presumed dead and all" he states.

"We're clearly not dead" I snap. Bilbo and I rush forward. "Stop! There's been a mistake!" I shout.

"This is our home. And those are my spoons, thank you very much" Bilbo states taking our spoons back.

"Here is our proof, I expect all our things returned" I snap handing to auctioner the contract.

"Yes, well...uh... Oh, it certainly seems to be in order. Yes, it seems there can be no doubt. Who is this person you both pledged your services to? Thorin Oakenshield?" he asks us.

"He was a friend" Bilbo states.

"Now see that all our things are returned and that the people are refunded" I order. Bilbo and I go inside after letting our ponies free to roam. We straighten the portraits and unpack.

"We can turn the spare room beside yours into a nursery" he tells me.

"I think that would be best, but he or she will be in my room for the first week or so" I tell him.

"Have you thought of any names?" Bilbo asks me.

"Dwarves usually name their children with similar names to their parents. So I wanted to do that by honouring Fili" I explain. "I have even been designing a bead for the baby" I add.

"You still haven't told me any names" he tells me.

"Fiona for a girl or Filius for a boy" I say simply simply. "Last name Took-Durin" I add. "Come on, we have to put everything back in its rightful places" I tell him.

"Ok, but I'm helping lift the heavy things. You shouldn't be doing that while pregnant" he tells me. I nod my head and we get to work. Soon our stuff is returned and my other cousin Drodo helps us. While his wife does dinner.

The End, see you in the sequel where Astrid's child helps Frodo destroy the ring.

A/N

Picture above of the funeral.